engine, engine #9

The next morning, I woke up the smell of muffins. Blueberry maybe? I opened my eyes, and saw Ponyboy, just where he was last night. Close to me, his breath against my face, and his arm around me.

I smiled as he woke up and moved my hair behind my ear.

"Morning Taffy." He said with his eyes barley open.

I looked around and saw Darry making breakfast with Two-Bit at the dinner table drinking beer. The rest of the gang was still asleep inside the fort. It was halfway torn down by now.

Dally wasn't there though, so I assumed he'd went out to a rodeo, or back to Buck's or something.

I went and joined them in the kitchen while Ponyboy went back to sleep. And I was right, Darry was making blueberry muffins.

"Another few minutes and they'll be ready to take out of the oven." Darry smiled.

I looked to the counter beside the oven, and saw his mothers recipe book open. Darry had made his mothers own homemade muffins, and it made me smile.

A moment later, Johnny walked into the kitchen.

"Morning, Johnny." I greeted.

"Morning." He mumbled back.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked.

"I slept fine."

"Ay, why don't we wake the others up, they've been sleeping long enough." Two-Bit snickered.

We all knew what he was up to. Before anyone could say anything, Two-Bit ran into the living room, and started screaming random things that wouldn't make sense to someone who had just waken up. Like,

"Oh, water whole and the eggs, hurry and get up!"

"The elephant got out and wanted if he would!"

"Everyone get up, there's a tornado in the house!"

Soda and Steve immediately jolted awake and started running around the house, and moving random things around. Ponyboy just sat straight up, looking around confused and scared, seeming he didn't even know where he was.

Two-Bit started laughing and once they'd come to their senses, they realized it was only Two-Bit and nothing happening.

"Oh c'mon Two-Bit, I had atleast another good five minutes fore I had to get up." Steve grumbled, slamming the pillow he had picked up back down.

Two-Bit was bout on the floor, he was laughing so hard. Ponyboy still looked just as scared and confused as he was before.

"Ooo are those muffins?" Soda gushed, right as he lied eyes on them.

"That they are, and I just took em out the oven." Darry said.

Everyone got a few muffins and ate them with a side of chocolate cake for breakfast. After that, we all headed to school and work.

The school day was long and boring. I walked outside to the warm, fresh air. Pony had a track meet, and Two-Bit skipped today, so it was only me and Johnny meeting out front today.

"How bout a walk through town, Liv?" Johnny asked.

"I'd like that." I smiled.

We left the school and made it down town. The streets were starting to fill up seeing as everyone's getting off work or school. Though most people through here don't go to either.

"It's startin to look like summer, Johnny."

"Yeah, it is." He chuckled, shoving his fists into the pockets of his jean jacket.

"What do you remember it feeling like in Virginia?" I wondered.

"Not too hot, but not too cold. But the summers real nice and warm." He smiled at the thought.

"I wouldn't mind being in Virginia. Down by the country side, reading a book under a tree. No greasers, no socs."

"Wouldn't we all." Johnny looked down.

We made more small talk though town till we reached the train station.

"What're we doing here?" I asked.

"Just wondering how much it would be to train ride from here to Virginia."

I shrugged knowing I was now curious too. I couldn't imagine if we actually left to Virginia? It'd be nice but, leaving the gang? I don't know if I could.

Johnny looked at one of the train info boards by the ticket stations.

"How much is it?"

"It actually might be possible for us to go one day."

"It's a big decision though, Johnny."

"Yeah I know. It'd take a lot to convince me to really leave though. But at the same time i'm just bout ready to." He laughed softly.

As we were walking back to the neighborhood, we passed a small bar. I peered through the glass and saw the one and only, Dallas Winston.

"Now what is Dallas doin here." Johnny teased.

I started laughing. We went inside and joined him.

"This tastes awful, what are even putting in this stuff, cow tongues?! Oh, hey Johnny, Livi." He smiled once he saw us, like he wasn't just shouting at the bar tender.

"What you doin on this side of town Dally?" I asked.

"Well I could ask you guys the same thing. Buck was mad at me cause I accidentally locked him in the bathroom. So I came down here instead for some drinks." He laughed.

"You got a cigarette Johnny?" I asked him.

He nodded and handed me one. I used Dally's necklace to light it. We hung out for a while then decided to head to our house for the night. It was getting dark out.

We approached our house and the lights were off. We stayed and listened for a while for any yelling, and peered through the windows. Nothing.

"Alright, the old man ain't home, let's go in." Johnny said.

When we walked through the door, I felt the warmth of the house over me. It was warm though the day, but the nights were chilly.

There were beer bottles lying around, some being broken, shattered across the floor. Paper and empty pizza boxes on the coffee table. It was a mess.

Johnny got to tidying the living room a little while I went to find us something to eat. I found enough stuff to make us some chili. Johnny finished on the living room shortly after and turned the TV on low volume for us to listen to.

Once I finished making the chili, I brought it to the living room and sat down on the couch beside Johnny. I heard soft rain starting to pour.

Every time we eat chili, it rains. I smiled at the thought.

When we finished that, we took turns to shower. Finally, we hung around in my room, talking. Smoking cigarettes. The sound of the rain. Then we both fell asleep on the floor.