𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞, burnt letter

•·

•·.·' ❪ hostile — act one ❫ '·.·•
| CH. 5 |

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

GRACE CONTINUED WATCHING CHARLOTTE with curious eyes while she argued with an irritating costumer. The blonde bar maid was in no way graceful and caring with the man, shoving him roughly away and into the tables when he stepped too close, earning a round of laughs from the surrounding drunks. Charlotte was used to the unwanted contact and knew exactly how to deal with it; humiliation. When a man gets his ass beat by a woman, his ego takes the biggest hit and no one ever forgets how he was beaten up by the Charlie Williams, the pretty Garrison bar maid.

"Charlotte, not now, please!" Harry shouts, pulling the woman back behind the bar in annoyance, "Those are brand new tables."

"He deserved it, the fuckin' bastard." She grumbles, ignoring the man's continuous complaining shouts.

Watching the scene, Grace starts to understand more and more on why Charlotte is so close to the Shelby family; her anger being just as easy to rile up, and her attitude is enough to make someone leave immediately.

"They all deserve it." Harry snaps, "Every one of 'em. But this is a pub, not a fighting ring. Save it for the fuckin' streets like you used to."

"More things in here to whack 'em with." She retorts, smirking, "Look, Harry, my shifts over, so can I leave now?"

"Not like you to ask to leave." He teases, elbowing her gently before nodding, "Yeah, aright, go."

To Grace, Charlotte's shifts were too short and useless but the more she thought about it, the more she realised; without Charlie, the place would be carnage, as seen as Harry is too terrified to place a hand on another person because of the consequences. She always leaves around 5pm for a couple of hours to deal with her own family and returns for the latest shift at
11pm, dealing with the angriest and drunkest members like they're children, saving the business and the lives of other customers.

Charlotte marches up the steps of the Shelby household, not hearing the usual cluster of excited men inside as she pushes the door open, revealing an almost empty room, the only person being Thomas Shelby hunched over a table scattered with money. She sighs silently, placing herself down on the seat opposite him, flicking his head and causing him to shoot up.

"Scared the shit outta me, Charlie." He snaps angrily, "Since when were you so sneaky?"

"Since I had to learn how to leave men's houses without being heard at 3 in the bloody morning." She takes the bottle of whiskey from beside him, pouring herself a glass and taking a large swig. She points down at the notes and coins covering the surface below her, "I'm guessing Monaghan Boy finally lost."