Chapter 3 - An Evening of Fun

We continue from where we left off from the last chapter. Y'know, the part where Diana asked Dodger if he could spare a couple minutes to listen?

"Of course." The Terrier nodded in response with a smile. "Everything okay in Dianaville?" The Spaniel shook her head no. "Mm-mm.. You see, there's a reason why I'm on the streets. Even though I'm a house dog, my owner.. He's changed. He isn't the same, and he hasn't been the same for some time now. Yesterday I.. guess I had my final straw. I had to get out of my home. I wanted to be safe." She sighed. "My friend Peter.. I wanted him to join me, but he wanted to go back to Glen. So.. I let him." She looked down and looked saddened. "Oh, I really hope he's okay." Even though he was capable of defending himself from any dangers, Diana still felt unsure that he'd be okay. Whenever she'd get the chance, she'd most likely have to return home. Just to bring him to safety. To get away from the danger. "Hey.. I'm sure he'll be fine." Dodger assured her. "Is he a tough type of dog?" Diana responded, "Yeah." to which he added, "Then he can look after himself. But I understand your concern. These guys are like my family, I'd hate to lose them even though it doesn't seem like it."

She felt better that she had someone who could sympathise with her. It made her feel not as alone. "So.. aside from the sadness I had going on in my life.. What's life like for you, Dodger?" The Spaniel asked, deciding to switch the topic. He smiled. "Life is pretty laid back. All day, every day, we're scavenging for loot and we're just trying to survive. For me, I'm trying my luck with the ladies." She smiled as well. "Any luck?" Dodger shook his head. "No.. Unfortunately not." They both had a laugh about it. "I never had any feelings for anyone.. Well, maybe I had taken a liking to Peter when he.. Y'know.. Keeps me safe." Diana smiled. She remembered those feelings, how she thanked Peter when he protected her from Glen, how they shared a hug before she left. All those moments were to be closely cherished. "That's nice. Oh, and I spend some of my time having fun around the city." The Terrier stood up and stretched. The Spaniel joined in standing up. "Oh?" She had an idea. "Well.. Mind if I have a tour of the city? And maybe see what you do for fun?" Dodger seemed to like the idea, and gestured for Diana to follow him.

"So.. what are we doing first?" The Spaniel asked as she trotted alongside the Terrier. In response, he smiled. "Oh, I have a few things I do around these parts. You've seen those food carts?" He asked. She nodded, which made him relieved. "Good, because I wanna show you my favourite scandal." The two trotted close and hid in an alley. "Alright, so what's the plan?" She asked. "Alright, he'll be taking out some sausages soon. So just wait, go distract him when I tell you to, and we have ourselves a snack." He explained. "Gotcha." It took some time since it was late, but the guy running the cart finally took a long roll of some sausage rolls out. The two dogs grinned. "Okay, go." The golden-brown canine ran up to the cart and began barking. The man chuckled. "Hey there, buddy! Sorry, but this can't be for you. Maybe when I have leftovers, okay?" Dodger did his part and snuck around, while Diana kept playing the pleading card. The man at the cart held his ground with her however. But fortunately, the two's antics paid off. With a quick snatch and pull, Dodger had the sausages in his mouth and began running with them. Diana followed suit, with the man shouting at them. "Goodness!" The Spaniel shouted. "I feel so energised! Is that good, Dodger? DId I do good?" He laughed and responded, "Yes, you did good for a first go!" She laughed along with him, liking the sudden burst of energy she had gotten from that trick.

"Okay, okay," Dodger panted as he wrapped the sausages around himself, "you wanna see something else I do around New York?" He asked her. Diana smiled. "Yeah! What else do you do?" She asked excitedly. The Terrier grinned and began moving again. "Just follow me, darling, and I'll show you something I like doing on nights like this."

The Spaniel would follow alongside him, letting him show her the sights of Manhattan. "Where are you taking me, Dodger?" She asked. "Oh, just wait and see.. But I gotta ask, how are your parkour skills?" She paused. "Parkour..? What's that?" He chuckled. "Alright, just watch, newbie." Dodger would find the spot he was looking for and ready himself. "Okay, old boy, don't flunk this demonstration." He whispered. He had eyes on the prize. Taking a deep breath... he would jump. And he didn't flunk it, hopping onto the roof of a shed. "C'mon, rookie, you can do this." He called down to Diana. "Ah.. Alright.." She too would take a deep breath and try the jump that Dodger did. She would nearly flunk the jump, for she almost hurt herself jumping onto the roof. But she succeeded and looked at the Terrier. "Did ya see that?? I did it!" She told him excitedly, her tail wagging happily. "That was awesome for your first go, darling." He smiled at her. "Not bad, but we still have more jumping to do." She groaned. "Really..? Will it pay off though?" He nodded. "Promise. Let's go."

Indeed there was more jumping, but it also did indeed pay off. Diana and Dodger reached their destination, an under construction part of an apartment building. The columns were set, and your usual construction equipment was up here. "Oh.. Um, I'm gonna ask-" The Spaniel looked at the Terrier. "What did you want to show me?" He smiled. "That." Turning around, the two were faced with the shining moon above New York. It was so.. Bright. Vibrant. "Whoa.." Diana walked close to the ledge and sat down, admiring the view that was provided. "So, this is what you wanted to show me?" She asked, the Terrier responding, "Yeppers. I don't even come up around areas like this, but I thought I'd make you feel better with a beautiful view." She smiled. "Well, it certainly worked, Dodger." The two sat in silence for a few moments, the two canines admiring the view. Until Dodger popped the question, "So, how was your first night in the streets again?" She sighed. "Not good.. Um. It was rainy, there was barely anywhere I could find where I could sleep, I spent hours roaming around the park, and.. There were these dogs-" The Terrier looked at her. "Dogs? Like, street dogs?" She nodded. "They asked me if I was a dog common to this area, and I tried to tell them yes, and.. They didn't take it, and I had to run. But they had me cornered in an alley, I thought I was dead. And..." She fell silent. "And, there was this voice that saved me."

Dodger took a moment to process the information. "What did they say?" She took a moment to think. "Umm.. They had a deep tone, so I knew it was a guy. He told them to back off, and he'd go after their tails if they didn't." She smiled, still grateful for the dog who saved her. "They backed off, and I was able to find a place to rest." Dodger also fell quiet, before he asked, "Did you see what they looked like?" to which Diana responded, "No, I had my eyes closed. I didn't see him." Would he hit her with it? That he was the one who came to her aide, and that they had met before? She seemed grateful, which she was. "Can I tell you something?" The Spaniel looked at him and went, "Mhm." He took a breath... sighed, and looked at her. "So where's my thank you?" He asked with a smile. "I thought it would have sufficed by now." She was giving him a look. "You.. You were that voice?" She asked. He kept looking at her, and nodded. "Yeah. I was. We were strangers, but I wouldn't allow those street dogs to hurt another one. And I didn't even know you, but at least I'd pay an act of kindness, right?"

A more happier smile formulated on Diana's snout, and she came over and gave Dodger the dog equivalent of a hug. "Thank you, Dodger." He returned the hug. "You're welcome, Diana."