࿔ Danica ࿔

Regulus is her best friend.

Then why did she like it when he held her?

Danica sighs and looks in the mirror as she fixes her hair in place with her wand: loose curls falling over her shoulders. It still amazes her that magic can have the same effect even six years after her first encounter with it.

She smiles at her reflection and gets a strange urge to run and find Regulus just to see his reaction to how she looks.

But she stays put and straightens her dress out, getting ready for the party that always happens if Hufflepuff win. She has to be there. Everyone loves her but it feels like Regulus and Remus are her only friends sometimes. She gets lonely without them.

She puts on her brave face, ready to do this alone, and walks out of her dorm and down the stairs to the common room.

The music has started and chatter and laughter rise above it. As she shows her face, the whole room turns to look at her and there's a moment's pause then a cheer erupts and she's pulled into the sea of people. She's picked up and placed on the shoulders of the biggest team member and the room gets louder and louder.

Danica laughs and a drink is pressed into her hand and she takes a sip. She looks around at the smiling, cheering faces gazing up at her.

"Matty, please put me down," she says, bending to talk in his ear so she can be heard.

He shakes his head and jumps, causing her drink to slosh and spill over the edge. She shrieks and tries to keep her cup level.

"MATTY!" She yells and grips his hair. "PUT. ME. DOWN!"

"Okay, okay!" He says and carefully lowers her.

Danica pushes him playfully and walks away. As she does, people reach out to congratulate her on beating Black.

She shrugs them off and walks over to the stolen food from the kitchens and picks at it, wanting nothing more to find her friends. She is content with just being in the quiet corner but Matty finds her and leans against the wall. She sighs and looks away from him. He has been flirty recently and she doesn't want anything to do with him.

"So you and Black are just friends, yeah?"

Danica nods but feels a pang in her heart but she doesn't know why.

"You look so good by the way," he looks down at her, biting his lip.

Danica sighs. "Matty, I know what you're trying to do, I don't like you like that."

Matty rolls his eyes and huffs. "It's Black isn't it?"

It's Danica's turn to roll her eyes. "This has nothing to do with Black-"

"You talking about me?" A voice cuts her off and she whizzes around to find Regulus standing with a white shirt and blue trousers on.

He smirks and holds his hand out to her.

"What the fuck? Black!?" Matty says from behind Danica. "You're gatecrashing!"

"Matty!" Danica shoves him away. "He's fine, just let him stay."

Matty backs down and glares at Regulus before turning his back on Regulus.

"Couldn't resist a party eh?" Danica says as she takes Regulus' hand. It is warm and big, comforting. She smiles up at him.

"Of course not," he looks down at her, "you're so beautiful."

Danica blushes and looks away. "I'm not."

Regulus stops walking and pulls her to face him. She looks up, confused.

"Did you just say you're not?" He says, "you're the most beautiful girl in Hogwarts!"

Danica blushes more and his hands feel hot on her bare shoulders. "Whatever you say, Black-"

She stops talking when her and Regulus' favourite song comes on and she's suddenly being pulled to the dance floor - which is really just a small part of the common room that has been cleared.

Regulus takes both of Danica's hands and she starts to move in time to the beat, grinning. His face is one of happiness that Danica only ever sees when he's with her.

They scream the lyrics to the song, laughing and spinning each other around.

When the last words blast out of the record player, they fall against each other, breathing fast.

Danica feels Regulus' arms around her and her stomach flips.

He's just a friend, she thinks. Just a friend.

Then why is there a swarm of butterflies in her stomach?

Regulus pulls her to a quiet corner where there's a window and he sits on the ledge. Danica jumps up next to him and rests her head on his shoulder.

That was once just a friendly gesture so why does she now want both his arms around her? Why does she want it to just be her and Regulus alone?

She closes her eyes, her head aching and spinning from all the noise, drink, and thoughts.

"Do you want to go somewhere quieter?" Regulus asks after what could have been hours, in a low voice, putting one arm around her shoulders.

She nods and looks up at him, "my dorm will be free." She gets hot just thinking about it.

Regulus smiles and slowly pulls Danica off the window and to her feet. She takes his hands and bites her lip, looking at how small hers are in comparison.

Regulus leads the way, pushing through the crowd and numerous kissing couples. Danica feels herself get jealous. Why can't Reg see me as more than a friend?

Eventually, they make it to her dorm and she sighs and walks over to her bed and throws herself down, bouncing slightly, her hair spread out around her in waves. She looks over at her friend and sees that he's watching her. She gets a funny fuzz in her stomach but she covers it up and smirks.

"What Black? Is this what you planned all along?"

He rolls his eyes and snickers. "You caught me-" he jokes, folding his arms over his chest, being dramatic.

"Yeah- just like I caught the snitch."

He huffs and turns to the door. "I'll leave if you mention the game one last time."

"Okay okay!" Danica wants him to stay so she bites her tongue to silence her piss-taking. "Can you come here Reggieee?"

She shuffles over in bed, making room for him. They have done this since first year. But back then they could fit a buffet of food between them, work and books, and leave space for anyone else who wanted to join them. It was usually Remus who spent the entire time chatting about Sirius. Or occasionally Sirius nattering about Remus.

Regulus walks over to her bed and lays down. The bed sinks at his weight and their shoulders touch, making her feel safe so she closes her eyes.

"I really should take my makeup off and change out my dress," she says quietly. "But I'm too tired," she adds yawning.

She feels Regulus get up again and hears him walk to the bathroom. He comes back moments later and sits down and she feels a warm cloth on her eyes. She smiles and lets him take off her paint, relaxing at the warmth and at some point, she fell asleep.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚