two || the statement

GCPD headquarters, November 1st.

ELLE SINGH walked through the halls of the Gotham City Police Department headquarters, greeting all the officers that roamed around the center.

Elle held two Starbucks coffees in her hand, trying to not let her work bag slip off her shoulder. She turned down the hall and continued walking straight, making to the office she shared with her Gordon, her boss.

"Morning Elle," Gordon greeted her with a smile, "Need any help?"

"I got it," Elle smiled as she handed Gordon the coffee, "Thanks though."

"You know, you didn't have to get me coffee." Gordon chuckled.

"What can I say? You're my boss," Elle chuckled too as she placed her work bag down on the seat, "Be glad I at least know your order."

"True that."

Elle grabbed the cream colored folders sitting on Gordon's desk. She looked through the files, seeing how everything was related to the murder case of Mayor Mitchell.

"Commissioner Savage will be giving a statement to the press soon," Gordon watched Elle look through the files, "Things could honestly get better or worse from here."

"You would fuckin hope it wouldn't get worse," Elle shook her head, "Don't think we need another one of our politicians dead after this."

"God, you would hope." Gordon sighed.

Silence followed.

"I know this case might be pretty rough for you," Gordon looked at Elle, a frown on his face, "You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah," Elle nodded her head, giving a slight smile, "Sometimes I just have to push it aside."

"I understand," Gordon reassured Elle, "Just let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"Thanks."

Silence.

"I think we should get going," Gordon looked at his watch, "Press is already outside and the statement will be given soon."

Elle and Gordon rapidly ran down the steps of the GCPD headquarters. Hundreds of press workers throughout Gotham city stood behind a barrier, photograph after photograph being taken.

"Lieutenant Gordon, what can you tell us about the murder of Mayor Mitchell?"

"Do you two believe that the Batman can be behind this murder?"

"Is it true that there is a lot of corruption surrounding the police department? How will you get rid of that?"

"Detective Singh, is it true that you and Bruce Wayne have been recent interactions that the public does not know about?"

Elle and Gordon kept getting bombarded with more and more shouting and questions by the second. They both began to grow angry, trying to ignore all the repetitive questions.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Gordon turned on the speaker and yelled out, "I am not here to be answering any questions for you. Commissioner Savage will be coming out of the building in about a minute or two to give the whole city a statement on last night's situation. You can ask him everything then."

The press suddenly grew quiet. Gordon turned off the mic on the stand, moving over to stand next to Elle.

Moments later, Commissioner Savage walked out of the headquarters, the press erupting again. About 14 cops trailed out behind him, standing behind Savage as he prepared to give the statement.

"Good morning," Savage began, "I am here today on the behalf of the mayoral committee of Gotham city to give a statement on last night's situation. As many of you may know, our very own Gotham city mayor, Don Mitchell Jr., was found brutally murdered in his home by his teenage daughter at around 10:30 PM. Since then, our team of detectives and officers, along with the help of Lieutenant Gordon, have been moving through every attempt to find who committed this act. Sure, Mayor Mitchell may have done some bad things, but we can assure the worried people that we will find out who did this."

Elle stood still, not a single emotion on her face. She turned to her left, seeing a man in a drifter outfit with binoculars watching the statement from down the street.

However, Elle had to ignore whoever the person was and focus on in front of her.

"We lost a husband, a father, a friend, but most importantly, a man who cared for his city," Savage was towards the end of his speech, "But let's not make this an excuse to continue going out there to ruin Gotham. We will continue to find out who is behind all of this, and once we do, we will provide everyone with more updates. Thank you."

The press began to bombard Commissioner Savage with microphones, shouting questions right at his face. Gordon looked at Elle, who was still trying to fight back the tears.

"We need to talk," Gordon whispered into Elle's ear, "Let's go."

Elle and Gordon made it back into the office, Elle walking over to the window to face out to the busy street. Gordon leaned up against the door, folding his arms across his chest.

"Who the fuck is spreading rumors about you and Bruce?" Gordon asked.

Elle sighed and turned around to face Gordon.

"I... I really don't know what to tell you, Jim," Elle shook her head, "I mean yeah, I'm meeting up with him tonight to-"

"Why are you meeting up with Bruce Wayne?"

Silence.

"I just need to talk to him about this whole thing."

Silence again.

"Elle," Gordon stated, "Be honest with me. Is there something going on?"

"Seriously?" Elle scoffed, "One person sees Bruce and I together and suddenly the whole media takes advantage."

"Elle-"

"Jim, please," Elle raised her voice, "Go home. Go be with your wife and kids. We have better things to do than talk about this."

"Elle," Gordon demanded, "I'm not kidding. Is there something between you and Bruce going on?"

Elle takes a deep breath as she runs her hands through her hair, messing up her low bun a bit. The stress is raging over her.

"Fine," Elle sighed, "Bruce and I have been seeing each other for a while. I was just scared of telling you."

Gordon sighs.

"You're not my kid, Elle, you don't need to be afraid of telling me. Yeah, I'm your boss, but you have to be honest with me."

"I'm sorry, Jim."

Gordon walks over to Elle.

"Come here, Elle." Gordon holds his arms out for Elle to hug him. Elle smiles a bit and walks over to Gordon, feeling comfort in his arms.

"You don't need to be worried about telling me anything, okay? I just don't want the media giving you and Bruce a bad image."

A tear falls down Elle's cheek. She stayed hugging Gordon, the man who is like a father figure to her, tightly for just a few more seconds.

"I need to go talk to Savage," Gordon and Elle break out of the hug, "Let me know how it goes with Bruce, shoot me a call or text if you need help."

"I will." Elle smiles, wiping away the tear with her sleeve.

"We're all in this together, okay?"

"Okay."