Prologue

Lee had just returned home from a long shift at the station. Jim hadn't returned and probably wouldn't for a long time, he overworked himself constantly, this caused Lee to stress herself out over his well being.

Kicking off her heels and hanging her coat in a daze, she wandered to the kitchen. Propping herself against the counter she noticed, out of the corner of her eye was a few boxes, left unpacked from when Jim moved in with her.

Lee's appetite for food was gone and she was just left with curiosity, she hadn't meant to be a snoop but rather see if she could help unpack anything. Opening the first box she saw it was nothing except for paperwork and old grade papers from the Academy, deciding it was probably best to not mess with Jim's paper she moved onto the second. This one was slightly smaller, rummaging through she found what felt like a picture frame wrapped in newspaper. Carefully tearing away at the old cushioning she expected to see an old photo from James' childhood or a graduation picture, what she saw almost caused her to drop the frame altogether. Tightly wrapped and kept out of sight was a photo of a much younger Jim Gordon and Barbra Kean in the hospital with a baby in her arms.

'''~~~'''

Jim finally returned home shortly after midnight, he found Lee sitting on the edge of their bed staring down at something in her hands. As he was about to question her he noticed the torn apart newspapers laying beside the opened cardboard box. Closing his eyes sighing slightly he called out to her

"Lee?" she didn't answer, she didn't even flinch. He started her name again but was cut off.

"You have a kid? You have a kid with Barbra?' she wasn't really asking, more so stating in disbelief.

Jim just moved to sit beside her on the bed and took the moment to take the photo from her hands. He observed it, something he hadn't done in a while. Even when he and Barbra were together his daughter was something he constantly left in the dark to people.

"Why didn't you tell me?" it dawned on him that she wasn't mad he had a child with Barbra before her. Well, why would she? They had a life before her and it wasn't like the child truly affected anything. She was upset that he never mentioned he had a daughter.

"It was never anything I ever really talked about and especially with Barbra being insane.." hearing it out-loud made Jim realize how bad of a person he sounded like. No one he spoke to now knew of his child with Barbra. He never thought to hang pictures because Barbra had them hung everywhere, and well, he didn't have any other than the one that was just discovered.

"Jim seriously? You have a daughter and nobody knows about her? Tell me about her right now." Lee left room for no debate. She wanted to know every aspect of Jim Gordons life and this was a big one.

"Well, um, her name is Aubrey. She's 14-15 years old. Uh she goes to Kingston Academy just outside of Gotham." Jim didn't really know what Lee wanted to know about his daughter and he didn't know what else to say.

"So you and Barbra had her when you were still serving? Wait do you think Barbra will go after her?" Lee was now worried for the girls safety. Barbra had just killed her parents and is labeled as criminally insane, who knows what she would do to her own daughter. Her mind began racing for the young girl.

"No, she would never hurt Aubrey." Jim also thought that about her parents but he really didn't know what Barbra was capable of. The only difference was that Barbra loved Aubrey more than anything.

"Do you think she'll try to take her though. Even if it's not to harm her, she can't be around her. Jim she's not safe, we should go get her from school." she had already decided she wanted to take the girl from school to protect her. Even if Barbra wouldn't hurt her, she was still dangerous and she couldn't stay at Kingston Academy any longer.

"Look, Lee, I'm sure it's fine. Can we please discuss this more tomorrow? I'm tired." the detective didn't really know what to do in this situation, he understood why Lee wanted to take her out of school but if Barbra did go to get Aubrey out of school she would soon find out they had her and would surely come to their apartment looking for her. Barbra also seemed too manic to even think properly about her daughter. His mind was even too fuzzy from his long day and had no clarity to think about his daughter.

Lee, on the other hand, her head was clear and she knew exactly what she would do. Tomorrow she would call the Academy to let them know the current events and that the girl would no longer be attending. She would clear out her old office and turn it into a small bedroom for the girl. Then, she would rescue the girl from danger by taking her out of school. Leslie knew this transition would be hard for the girl, but she also knew there was no other choice.

A/N AHHH so here is the prologue. I honestly don't know how I feel about it but I'm super excited for the story to evolve from here. You're all going to love Aubrey!

Word Count: 934