Chapter 1: The Train Hag

Urban legends. It seems like new ones are constantly popping up every day, and others fading into obscurity. Nevertheless, I used to be fascinated by these legends, and all thing supernatural in general. Yes, I was that kid that always wanted to bust out the Ouija board at a sleepover. My obsession went so far, that I was convinced that I had actually seen a ghost once or twice. Hell, I even tried my hand at writing a few creepypastas back in middle school.

I was a pretty strange kid, wasn't I? Well, at least I grew out of that phase eventually. Eventually I came to realize it's all just superstition. And superstition can't be proven, so what's the point in believing in something that you're not even sure is real?

Whatever. It's not like it's really important right now. The only thing I'm focused on is taking the metro back home from college before it leaves at 10 o'clock.

Unfortunately, that wasn't gonna be the case. Because before my foot could even go in two inches over the threshold, the doors slid shut and the train flew by in a silver blur.

"God damn it!" I yelled into the tiled wall across the tracks. The echoes of my frustration bounced throughout the empty station, and soon it faded along with the faraway rumbling of the train. After running my fingers through my (h/c) hair, I glanced at the screen above. The next train heading towards where I live wouldn't be there for another hour.

Luck really is on my side today, isn't it?

And so, I slumped down on the nearest bench and waited for an eternity, recalling everything that had transpired that day. I failed tests for three of my classes, stayed in the library studying until I dozed off and missed my usual ride home, and now here I was, stuck in the middle of subway station in the middle of the night. I usually avoided traveling home after dark. All the terrible crimes and weird shit happen at that time. I'd rather not die in a ditch at 2 am, thank you very much.

About 5 minutes before the train arrived, a group of classmates I recognized from my college, came down the escalator, engrossed in excited chatter.

"Don't you guys think we should just walk home?" one of the girls groaned.

"Walking in the dark at this hour? You fucking crazy? It's much safer this way."

"Yeah, but, what if the Train Hag shows up and spirits us away?"

After a brief pause, all three girls erupted into laughter. "Ah man, I can't believe people still believe she exists," the first girl said as she wiped tears of laughter from her eyes.

"My brother used to tell me that he saw the Train Hag in person. He took the 11 pm subway one night. And all of a sudden, everyone disappeared, except for this one old lady. And then, with the flick of her wrist, his body was split in two, but it didn't hurt at all! And then, when he came back together, he was so terrified, that to this day, he still doesn't remember her face."

"Yeah, I'm calling bullshit right there, hun, " replied one of the girls.

"Well, no shit, he makes up stories like that all the time..." As the posse made their way to the vending machine across the corridor of the station, their sentences faded into incoherent sound. Then it was replaced by the blaring rumble of an approaching subway train.

"Finally", I mumbled through a breathy sigh. I boarded through its silver doors after it slowed to a stop. As my exhausted body collapsed onto one of the plastic seats, I attempted to stay awake by browsing through Wattpad. But, this was to no avail, as I drifted out of consciousness.

***

"Ara, ara, you are quite a deep sleeper for a human~"

I jolted awake the moment I heard that voice. After I rubbed my eyes, I find myself completely alone in the subway. How long had I been asleep? Did I already miss my stop?