Chapter 15 - Part 2

She felt a slight tug on her sleeve and looked to see Kreacher now by her side.

"Mistress dropped her wand," the elf informed as he handed it to her.

"Thank you, Kreacher."

"Kreacher is grateful for Master Potter and mistress," the elf replied as he approached the desk and stood up on his toes, staring in awe at the now broken locket.

"It's definitely gone, right?" Harry asked, waiting for the headmaster's nod before picking up the locket and casting Reparo. The necklace still looked much worse off from its encounter with Gryffindor's sword but it was now back to its original shape and the doors were latched shut once again.

Harry handed the locket to the aged elf. "I think you should have this, Kreacher...to remember Master Regulus."

It was clear that Harry's act of generosity had shocked the elf as he stared at the gift in disbelief. "Thank you, Master," he replied reverently.

"You're welcome," Harry answered and Hermione could tell that he meant it.

"Does Master require anything else of Kreacher?" He appeared to be shaking in excitement at Harry's gift and what they had accomplished.

"No, I think that's enough for tonight," Harry chuckled. "Get some rest, yeah? We've all had an eventful night."

"Yes, Master," Kreacher replied as he bowed deeply to Harry. He then turned his attention to Hermione.

"Thank you for protecting Kreacher, mistress," he intoned, bowing once again before popping out of sight.

"You and Kreacher seem to be on much better terms," Dumbledore observed. He appeared to have composed himself from whatever the Horcrux showed him to protect itself.

"We've been working with him over the last few months," Harry replied before realizing what he'd admitted. "I hope that's not against the rules...calling him to Hogwarts."

"Technically students are required to get special permission from their Head of House before contacting a personal elf but given the spectacular results of the evening I believe I will overlook it this time.

Based on your absence from class this morning and Mr. Weasley and Miss Brown this afternoon am I correct in assuming we are in store for much more rule breaking over the next few weeks?" he asked bemusedly, a bit of color and life returning to his face.

"Yes sir," Harry answered simply, not offering any more information.

"I don't suppose it would do any good to ask once again for you to trust me," Dumbledore asked. He looked very tired.

"No sir, it wouldn't," Harry replied.

"Regulus Black was the same age as Draco when he joined the Dark Lord," Dumbledore observed, "a boy who made a mistake and learned to regret it."

"Then expel him," Harry replied. "Send him to serve his dark lord so he can learn to regret it instead of risking the other students' lives. Better yet, check him for the mark and if he has it have him arrested." Hermione wanted to cheer.

The headmaster nodded in defeat before grabbing a piece of parchment and quickly writing a note.

"I believe you two should head back to Gryffindor," he informed wearily as he handed over the parchment. "This note gives my permission to be out after hours should you be stopped."

"Thank you for coming to me with your discovery," he intoned as they moved to leave. "We've struck a great blow to Voldemort this night."

After walking in silence for several minutes Hermione spoke. "Could you see what the Horcrux showed Professor Dumbledore? He looked terrified."