1000 Paper Cranes

Author's note: A special thanks for ApocalypticGirl for narrating!

A loud thumping can be heard down the long hallway from the elevator. The sound is consistent, like a giant is clomping around in a second story apartment.

Caitlyn doesn’t let the sound scare her, or at least on the outside, the last thing she needs is for the prisoners to abuse her fear. She’s trying to become the Sheriff of Plitover one day, but a few criminals aren’t going to get in her way.

The thumping gets louder the closer she gets, the sound drowning out the clicking of her heeled boots.

513…514…515…516

The officer stops her long stride at the source of the thumping, a woman with red hair mercilessly punching the wall. The prisoner doesn’t spare the officer a moment of her time, her eyes are laser focused on indent on the wall. If Caitlyn didn’t know any better, she would’ve thought the wall was damaged by an explosive, not by the hands of this prisoner.

She wonders if the prisoner is trying to escape, but she reasons there are far better ways to accomplish that than destroying her hands. Caitlyn glances at the state of the cell behind the redhead, it’s tidy and sparse save for the hundreds of folded pieces of paper perched on every available surface.

This peaks the officer’s curiosity, but it doesn’t pertain to the investigation, she needs to keep focus.

Caitlyn straightens her posture and clears her throat,”I took a look at your file. There's no record of you or your crimes. What are you here for?”

Inmate 516 keeps punching away, sculpting the thick concrete. “My sunny personality.”

Caitlyn isn’t surprised by the response, she was expecting the prisoner to keep giving her the cold shoulder until she left. “You attacked an inmate. Why?

The redhead shrugs mid punch,” Why not?”

“He was a witness in an ongoing investigation.” Caitlyn takes another look at the cell, looking for any clues on how to crack the prisoner.

The red head changes her stance to southpaw and continues her training without missing a beat,”Hmm, bummer.”

The officer sighs, she slides the files under arm, she will have to wait for another witness to appear.” This was a waste of time.”

“Couldn't have put it better.” The inmate growls.”Hey, give Silco a kiss on that winning eye of his, will you?” She hits the wall harder.

“Silco? The industrialist?” This changes everything.

“Okay, this is getting old. Can you just send in whoever's gonna kick the shit out of me, so I can get on with my night?” The prisoner finally stops punching and faces the officer, her arms firmly crossing her chest.

Realizing she found a way in, Caitlyn retrieves a photo from the crime scene.“Does this mean anything to you?”

The prisoner gasps, she knows that signature anywhere.”Where did you get this?” 

“My question first. He worked for Silco?” Caitlyn leans closer to the bars, ignoring safety protocols.

The redhead rolls her eyes,“Uh, they all do. How can anyone not know that? Where did you find this?” She reaches for the photo but the officer pulls it out of reach.