Chapter 1: wake up

At first, I saw nothing. There was darkness as far as the eye could see. No sight of an end or beginning. Then I saw it. 

A man. He had deep brown hair, unkempt and wild. His skin was tanned, presumably from working in the sun. His clothes, a plain shirt and jeans, were torn and faded from wear. He looked as if suspended in air, fast asleep in a dream. He looked peaceful. I felt myself go closer, his features becoming more defined. He had an overgrown beard and his boots had many holes. As I wondered closer again, I heard whispers. I couldn't make any of it out and I couldn't connect the voices to any living human. I felt myself be inexplicably drawn to these voices and I continued closer yet. 

As I floated closer to the man, the whispers quickly increased in volume, they weren't any less jumbled but started to flood my ears. I strained to understand the words but nothing seemed to make sense. I squeezed my eyes closed in an effort to calm my mind from the buzzing drones in my ears, but nothing seemed to help. The voices got louder and louder, and finally, all at once, stopped. 

I slowly opened my eyes and was surprised to see myself face to face with the floating man. I simply sat there for a moment, taking in his features and wondering how we both got here when suddenly a blinding flash of light and a rush of pain filled my senses. I felt as if the floating man and I were in the middle of a black hole, and we were being stretched and squished together. As my consciousness faded out, I heard the voice one last time, this time just a single entity. 

"You are the player.

Wake up".