BETRAYAL [배신]

Short, hasty gasps were disrupted by sobs and wails so heartbreaking they would have brought tears to many a person's eyes without even knowing the cause of the peril. Fat tears glistened in the soft, warm light of the room when they made their way over flushed skin. Strands of silky hair were clenched in desperation, leaving ugly kinks in it upon release. It all came to a culmination in the way the anguished body had turned in on itself as if the reflexes as old as the humans themselves had kicked in - to protect oneself against the predator by guarding the vitals. Only the trembling hand stood against that principle, clutched in its grasp a glossy photo stained by salty tears.

Cold eyes seemingly untouched by the display met across the room. A small nod was the only exchange they needed, everything else was so clear between them it needed no words to be spoken. They had given enough time to be respectful but what needed doing could not wait any longer.

Betrayal shall be judged and brought to justice.

While you hadn't been with the organisation for that long, only an initiated member for a few months after being a recruit for about six months, you had seen the other woman on many occasions. At your first encounter with Mujin, your eyes had only skimmed over her form, too transfixed by the man she was accompanying. Her role as his lawyer and bookkeeper was only revealed to you when you were allowed in on more confidential meetings after proving your worth in planning, executing and even leading smaller missions and gatherings. She had been with Dongcheon for many years, though not a real active member, you had seen her hold her stance against her own men, and also others such as local, as well as international buyers.

That had been when you had joined the ranks officially, clad in your first tailor-made suit. Since then, you had noticed she had drawn back more and more, not enough to be ultimately obvious, but you had observed the otherwise opinionated woman closely. It was some kind of rumble in your stomach and a growing suspicion in the back of your mind that had drawn your focus onto her. Where she had appeared cut-throat and as close to Mujin as to dare fall into his words occasionally - something not many members dared to try and remained to tell the tale of the consequences - she now felt dull, reduced to a meager presence. You gauged that she was being careful not only around your boss, but towards all the men, barely even speaking when not addressed. Blending into the background whereas you wanted to step up.

If she had an altercation with Mujin, you dared not ask anyone about it, but kept your ears and eyes open anyway. Their past was of no concern to you, though when the sense of suspicion within you grew, you were increasingly concerned that whatever was happening would potentially harm the organisation.

Investigating the matter on your own was a measure you did not take on lightly, given that it could lead to consequences falling back onto you. Or they could think you yourself were trying to bring harm to Dongcheon when the opposite was true. You had to be absolutely sure, needed evidence to back up your theory and you had to do it all undetected. Whereas you despised the police for varying reasons, not seriously investigating your father's death for one, you almost felt like one of them for the time being.

It left a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach that you had to bite back as you pulled the hood of your baggy sweater onto your head before ducking into the dimly lit entryway. The man you were about to visit was one of the few that you still remained in contact with after you had left your gang behind. They had apparently thought you had died while trying to steal supply and a lot of them had yet to see you again after that, thus unaware of your still strongly beating heart and vengeful soul.

Lee Do-Yun had been your first contact when you stumbled through the small side streets in anguish at your late father's passing. When your mother had turned to the liquor cabinet again, accompanied by a different man each day, you couldn't stand to stay anymore. Why she hadn't taken this whole thing more serious evaded you and it just made you more angry, more determined to find out what had happened. Even if you never got to the bottom of it, you would have at least tried your best.