Chapter 33

Alec's POV:

I hold Riley's hand tightly, drawing circles on it with my thumb. She was doing a great job at telling her family how she has been feeling lately. The fact that she felt like a nuisance to her family, like she wasn't appreciated makes my lycan want to go on a rampage, he wanted to take control but I force him to calm down, he didn't care they were our mate's family. And I think the worst she felt was when she saw her mother having a good time with her sons' mates, because it made her feel as if she has been replaced.

Just remembering her words and her tears makes me clench my jaw in an attempt to stop the growl that so wanted to come out, fisting my hands, furious. How could they do that to her? How did they not realize they were hurting her? I wanted to lash out, but couldn't.

I guess you can say they are lucky that they are Riley's family.

No one hurt my mate, my princess, the love of my life.

Riley is too good, too nice, feeling bad for feeling that way, when there was nothing wrong with feeling hurt because of your family's actions. Her heart is way too pure for this messed-up world, and I made it my personal mission to protect it with my life.

And it wasn't the first time Riley's family hurt her unconsciously. I remember her telling me what caused her to run into the forest that day eleven years ago. If this happens again, I will be forced to sit down and have a talk with her mother and father.

I hadn't said anything to Riley, because I knew she will make excuses for them, and I didn't want to argue with her and hurt her emotions. She was still sensitive by being just reunited with her family, though it's been weeks now, so I was letting her have it her way. But here's where I put my foot down. If she shed one more tear because of her family, I would not restrain myself from freeing that overprotecting mate part of me. And because I am the third most powerful lycan in the kingdom, I feel emotions stronger, and with that, I got angry easier. My temper is thin when it comes to protecting my loved ones.

"...And when I saw you with Milla, Christine and Isabella, it made me feel like you didn't need me anymore" Riley mumbles, scratching the skin over her knee. I have to take her free hand to stop her from creating a wound.

"Oh, baby. I'm so sorry!" cries her mother standing up and walking toward Riley with her arms open. I stood up to make room for them as her father stood up too.

They both hugged her, whispering soothing words, apologizing, and telling her what they are going to do to make it up to her.

"We are really sorry for not being considerate with you, pumpkin. And for not stopping to think that we were actually hurting you" her father apologizes, giving her a crushing hug. Then her parents gave space to their sons to hug Riley.

I have to admit, Riley's brothers really looked remorseful, and by the way, they look at her, they loved her. I just wonder if it was always like that or if they grew to love her now that they learned to not take her for granted, after so many years without their little sister, they realized that anything can happen and to better be the big brother they are in case they get to lose her forever.

Something tells me is the latter, and that pisses me off.

***

I leave Riley with her family for the day. There was no way I'm gonna let her spend more nights with them. I needed her. After the little experiment of letting her go spend a week with her family... I'm not going to repeat that. It was pure torture. I don't know why I thought I could do that for Riley's sake.

I am glad that she feels the same way.

I breathed in the fresh air of the woods in an attempt to distract myself from that fear that was slowly building inside me. The fear of losing Riley over her family. She found me the same day she found her family again, and I am scared that she rather spend more time with her family to get back the years that she spent away from them. I was scared she'll choose them over me.

It fucking terrified me.

My fear was gnawing at my insides, making my insecurities grow. I can't stop myself from wondering if I am even good enough... Am I?

I sigh.

I really needed Riley with me, but I knew she also needed time with her family.

Fuck.

I fucking hate this.

***

"You need to stop obsessing over it."

I look at Rebecka who appears out of nowhere.

"You don't know what are you talking about" I growl lowly.

"Come on, you have it written all over your face" says and sighs. "And because I had that same expression once"

I turn to look at her, my mind clearing up. It was many years ago, and I completely forgot.

"Felix loved being the captain of the royal guards, training them and going off on missions... I was scared he would choose his team and go away all the time, leaving me alone for who knows how long..."

"Rebecka..."

She ignored me and continued.

"He resigned from his position, not being able to be apart from me, leaving me alone. We compromised and while we are in Russia, he would join his team for a few hours and train with them, but he is my mate, my partner over everything," she explains looking at me. I kept looking ahead, not able to face her gaze. "You need to trust Riley, Alec, and most importantly, you need to share how you are feeling. I know Riley is not used to sharing her emotions, but you should start giving the example."

I smile bitterly.

"I would look like a moron or a jealous mate. I don't want to bug her." I reply sighing.

"Alec," Rebecka says sternly. "Don't hide your feelings from your mate when you don't like when she does that to you" she scolds me and I purse my lips.

She has a point there. I guess I needed to be fair with Riley.

"Besides, I think Riley would hate to realize she's been hurting you without realizing it"

I growl.

The idea of hurting her by hiding my feelings from her disgusted me. No way I would cause her pain intentionally. No way.

"I'll tell her," I finally say "Thank you" I look at Rebecka and she smiles at me.

"Pack must stay together."

***

I rise through the street clenching the steering wheel. Riley has sent me a text message a few minutes ago that she wanted me to pick her up as soon as possible. Without wasting time, I get in the car and drive towards her, million different scenarios rush into my mind of what could have happened.

Is she hurt? Is she in pain? No, I would have felt it. Was it her family?

I growl.

This was the last straw, and I am not going to restrain myself from speaking my mind this time.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Hello lovers! How are you today?

Let's hope Alec doesn't do something he might regret later😬😜

Lots of love! 🌟