The Reaping, Districts 1-3

District 1, Luxury

It's just an ordinary day. The young man repeated this phrase as a mantra as he tried to select the perfect outfit for the day's festivities. He was debating between two frilled dress shirts when a knock sounded on the door. It's just an ordinary day. My name is only in once. This is the last year I'm eligible.

The door swung open. The young man turned around to greet his mother, smiling at her as she entered the room. She eyed the shirts in her son's hands. "Picking out your outfit for the Reaping?"

The young man nodded.

"That one," his mother declared, pointing to the cream-colored shirt in his right hand. "Pair it with that pretty necklace you have that matches your eyes."

The young man nodded again, hanging the light blue shirt he was holding back in the closet and going towards his jewelry box. "Thank you, Mom."

It's just an ordinary day. She knows that, and that's why she's helping me. I have to look my best.

Smiling nervously, his mother entered the room, waiting until he had pulled the sleeves of the shirt on and began buttoning it closed to place her hands on his shoulders. "...Last year, sweetie. You just have to make it through this one more time. How about we go out for some low-fat gelato to celebrate?"

"I shouldn't," the young man admitted, pulling a peridot necklace from his jewelry box and putting the chain around his neck. His mother took it from him, fastening it skillfully. "I wouldn't want to spoil my figure, low-fat or not."

Smile growing more fond, his mother kissed his head lightly, adjusting the chain of the necklace around the collar of his shirt. "That's my boy."

She hesitated, then stepped in front of him, unbuttoning the top five buttons of the shirt. Covering her mouth briefly, she adjusted the shirt to expose a bit more of her son's sculpted chest, then nodded in satisfaction. By his sides, the young man's fists clenched just slightly, but he maintained a poised, polite smile.

"You should wear that dark brown jacket today," she said. "The one we bought you from District 8 that matches with this shirt. The earthy tone goes well with the greens."

"I was planning on it," the young man admitted. It's just an ordinary day. Mercy will be there. You have to make sure she knows you're okay.

Again, his mother nodded...then pulled her son into a tight hug, breathing deeply. They were silent for a few moments, the young man hugging her back as they both tried to ignore what the Reaping actually entailed.

It's just an ordinary day.

That thought was becoming more frequent now.

At last, the two separated. The young man found the suit jacket his mother had pointed out and pulled it on, eyeing himself in the mirror. His hair was a mess. He'd have to fix that before he left.

He bid a fond "see you later" to both parents before leaving their home. A few other teens waved hello as he passed. He waved back, politely, earning a few giggles from the girls he walked with. Yes, this was normal. Today was just like any other day. Today was nothing special, despite the prick on his finger making him jump when the Peacekeepers took his blood again. Today was completely and absolutely ordinary, despite the mayor's speech on the founding of Panem. Today was absolutely, positively, utterly average in every way, even though the Escort was paying their district a visit.

It's just...an ordinary day.

The young man's brilliant green eyes sought out District 1's Mentor, a girl named Mercy Crocker. Her gaze met his in the crowd. She was so strong. Those ocean eyes promised safety. Yes, today was completely normal. The young man smiled at Mercy. Mercy scoffed and tore her eyes away.