CHAPTER ELEVEN | sleep

AFTER EXPLAINING TO his inebriated younger sister that extra toilet paper could indeed be located beneath the bathroom sink, Connor sets the kettle to boil for some tea

Olivia's small fingers are tucked above the crook of his elbow, her body hovering just behind him as he shows her around his apartment. "This is the kitchen," Connor murmurs.

The kettle hums. "I'm blind, Connor. Not an idiot." She taps one of her fingers against the warm skin at the edge of his shirt-sleeve. "I know what a kitchen sounds like."

"Fair enough." Her wit makes the right side of his mouth crook upwards. She's been leading him through the techniques and etiquette for acting as a sighted guide for people with visual impairments. Don't grab me, just touch the back of my hand and I'll take your arm. Relax your elbow. Don't walk too fast or too slow. Stop before we bump into something. Describe what's going on around us.

Even with alcohol in her system, she's remarkably deft. Her free hand skims along countertop rims, knuckles brushing the cool paint of his walls.

"I don't want tea," Julia calls from the couch. "D'you have any more booze?"

"No," Connor grunts. "You can have water or you can die of thirst."

"Ugh. Boo."

Olivia giggles. "You're a meanie," she teases. She leans forward so her chin catches his firm tricep. She feels how tall and steady he is and it makes her stomach flip.

"You're lucky you're an only child," he replies. From her position slopped across his sofa, Julia flings him her middle finger.

Connor guides Olivia to a cupboard by the fridge and pulls out a set of mugs. He passes her a container with a mixed assortment of tea bags that his mother dropped off the other day. When he starts trying to list the different varieties so she can pick one she likes, she stops him and says that she wants it to be a secret. "Perks of being blind, I guess," she smiles. "The world's fulla extra surprises."

He tilts his head to look at her. Those clear blue eyes of hers shine, his throat claws. He doesn't understand where her positivity, where that optimism comes from. Life throws her rotting lemons and she whips up meringue.

Over in the living room, Julia flicks between TV channels before landing on a rerun of The Office. "Jules," Connor calls without looking back at her, "did you call Mom to let her know you're here?"

She scoffs in protest and bats the remote at him. "It's fine..."

"Call her," he insists, unimpressed. His tone leaves no room for argument.

Olivia bites her lip.

She likes watching him be a surly, responsible big brother. She can't quite decipher why seeing this brusque, irritated side of him makes her toes wiggle.