Chapter 16:

Jax ate silently, his eyes scanning over the plate he ate from as he lost himself in his own thoughts. You stared worriedly. He had never been so out of it before!

"Hey, you good?" You asked, shoving his shoulder lightly. His eyes flicked to you before falling back on the table.

"Yeah, yeah 'm good." He grumbled.

Voices filled the silence, and you looked around the old diner you sat at. It was barely dark out, yet the few voices in the building were loud and energetic. The others in the diner were old truck drivers, and the majority of them were obviously high on something.

Jax clicked his tongue and slapped his half eaten burger on the plate. You squinted, but decided to change the subject.

"I've gotta go to the gym later." You hummed. "The waters out, and I need a shower."

Jax nodded. "Just wait a couple more weeks, kid."

You shrugged. "It's fine. Really."

You looked down at your own plate, which had been barely touched. Your lack of appetite was worrying to Jax, and he tapped the table beside your plate.

"Ya haven't finished your food." He noted.

You shrugged again. "I guess I'm not really hungry."

"Well, ya should be. Ya look it."

"I'm not, though."

"Eat."

You met his eyes. They pleaded with you, and you allowed yourself to reach down and grab another fry.

Your phone buzzed, and you glanced over at it. Jackson had messaged you.

Jackson:
Did you hear? Manny dropped out, too.

You furrowed your brows. It was 7:42 in the morning. Why would Jackson be worried about Manny so early? Or at all?

You typed a quick response.

You:
So?

Jackson:
So he's gone. His parents came to the school. He's missing.

You felt the color drain from your face. Half of you knew he probably ran off, but the other half worried. What if someone had taken him? Whatever took him could definitely take you.

You glanced up at Jax, who held a concerned face.

"What?" He asked. "What's up?"

"Uh, it's a friend." You replied, not giving much more information than that.

Jax leaned forwards. "Which one?"

His tone seemed more demanding than questioning, and you felt pressured to be honest.

"Jackson." You blurted. "He says that Manny is missing."

Jack's eyes relaxed, and he reclined in his seat. "Shame."

"Yeah." You sat silently. As horrible as the situation was, you couldn't bring yourself to care about Manny's wellbeing. You typed out another response.

You:
Missing? As in kidnapped or missing as in he ran away?

Jackson:
His parents think it's kidnapping, but the police think it's a runaway situation. They aren't doing much.

You:
Gotcha.

"They think he ran away." You mumbled.

Jax nodded.

He didn't show it, but he was actually very confused. Jax knew he didn't do anything to the manotaur, so who did? He figured it made sense for Manny to have run away. Jax did threaten him.

Jax felt a small smile come to his face, and he quickly wiped it off before you could notice. Manny was just making things more fun for Jax. He thought he could get away? That was hilarious, and Jax almost found himself laughing at the amount of bullshit that Manny thought of.

Running away wasn't going to stop anything. It wouldn't even delay anything. The only thing running away did was make Jax have to plan a vacation to wherever Manny was at. Jax suddenly found his appetite had increased, and as he glanced at you, he could tell that the news had helped your appetite as well.

You ate greedily after the news. Jax figured you felt safer. He hoped you did.

Cleo, however, shook in her school desk. If Manny had run off, then that meant there was a reason. Whatever the reason, Cleo knew she'd get tangled up in it somehow. She brought out her phone and clicked on her father's contact.

Cleo:
Daddy, there's something happening with one of my friends

Cleo's Dad:
What do you mean?

Cleo:
He ran away

Cleo's Dad:
And?

Cleo:
I'll explain it later

She shut off her phone. At least her dad had an idea of what was happening, and surely her dad would help her?

Cleo made a mental note to call Manny later. She knew he still had his phone on him. She knew he wasn't smart enough to ditch the device. Cleo, for what seemed like the millionth time, felt out of control. Something made Manny run. What if it was after her next?

She shook again, feeling the shivers of fear control her body.

Manny, on the other hand, gripped his cars steering wheel so hard he felt the wheel bend. He flew down the highway, high on cocaine and adrenaline. Something in him knew that Jax was being serious. He didn't want to die. He didn't want to do drugs. He didn't want to hurt you. He wanted it all to be done with. He wanted it all to stop.

But he had been in that life for so long, how could he just leave it all? How could he stop?

His eyes glanced to the small bag of powder that sat in his passenger seat. That's right, he didn't leave it all behind. He only left you behind, and surely that would be enough to keep him safe?

He was wrong. He knew he was wrong. Something about the way Jax looked at him let Manny know that he wouldn't give up. Manny would have to hop city after city, but he knew it wouldn't be enough.

How did he even get here?

It seemed like one minute, Manny was in elementary school crushing on you as you played on the swing set. He didn't care that your clothes were obviously hand-me-downs from someone bigger than you. He didn't care about the adorable tooth gap you had. He didn't even care that he saw you and your mom at the trap house!

But then the next minute, he was pinning you to the floor of an old drug chain house with his dick deep inside you, something he always wanted to do but was too nervous to. He didn't care if it was 'rape'. His crush for you turned into full out hatred and anger, only because everyone else he ever looked at seemed bland compared to you. He hated you, but while he had you crying under his grasp, he loved you wholely.

And then Cleo had to want more. And then he broke into your house. And then....

Well...

And then he was in the car, breaking the steering wheel from his strong grip while high on God knows what.

All he had to do was stop.

Why couldn't he ever just stop?