CHAPTER FOUR: GUNTER

After questioning the locals in Yeva, Chare came back to inform us the assassin hadn't been there. So, either he was still in Troian hiding out somewhere or he went back to wherever he had come from. I sent several of the guards into the market to patrol the area but stayed behind to send a message to my brother.

As soon as I took care of things here, I was to go straight to the Northern Mountains to handle an issue with the training commanders. Since allowing women to enlist in the guard the commanders hadn't been very cooperative. It was one of the first things Jaspan did when he became king two years ago, wanting to give women more options. The commanders complained over every little thing. Where would the women sleep? Who would pay for the extra supplies needed? Who would they train with? Surely we didn't expect a man to fight with a woman?

Jaspan had an answer for everything and several weeks ago the first women who enlisted were sent to the training camp. When it finally came time to start training them the commanders refused to do the job.

I quickly wrote up the letter, explaining I had no idea when I would be back while skipping over the part about not having even seen the assassin with my own eyes yet. As soon as I sent the letter off, I went into town to meet with the others.

I wasn't in the market for more than a few minutes before Chare came over to tell me the assassin had been spotted in the market two hours ago. How had the guardsmen missed him? They had been patrolling the area since morning and hadn't seen anyone out of the ordinary.

Clutching the hilt of my sword I paced back and forth until Axel joined us, jogging over with Lee. Both were breathless from searching the streets.

"Well, did you find out anything" I asked, anger lacing my words. I was angrier with myself than anyone else. How was I supposed to deal with the big problems if I couldn't even find a single assassin?

"Bart at the bakery finally admitted to seeing a strange man," Axel told me. "Someone else had to have seen him but nobody's talking. Bart said the man is the size of a bear. I don't know how we missed him."

"Everyone is afraid to speak up," I replied. "Who is he looking for?"

"The blacksmith."

My heart rate kicked up a notch at that. "Why? What does he want with Robert," I asked even though I knew they couldn't answer that question. Gods, Lainey and Carney had just headed that way. What if the assassin was there now?

"Lee, gather the others and let's go. I hope we aren't too late."

He nodded in confirmation and took off. Axel and Chare followed me to our horses, and we quickly mounted. I didn't say anything else, just clicked my tongue to urge Stormbringer on before I even fully mounted. I knew my men would be right behind me without having to spell things out for them.

It took less than ten minutes to get to their house, but it had already been too long. If something happened to Lainey ... I didn't even want to think about that. While talking to them earlier I kept thinking maybe after my trip to the Northern Mountains I could come back to Troian for a while. That way I could finally spend some time with her, get to know her. It would be nice to stay in my hometown again. Even though I had been living at the Mountain Estate for the past few years it had yet to feel like home.

As we rode up to the Rainier house, I knew we were too late. The door was standing wide open and broken glass littered the porch. I dismounted and turned to find Axel and Chare right behind me. Unsheathing my sword, I scanned the yard for signs of anyone.

"Did you hear that," Axel asked turning towards the woods.

"Take Chare and check it out," I ordered. "I'll head inside."

They both nodded and headed for the woods. That was one good thing about Axel, he might have argued with me sometimes, but when I gave a direct order, he didn't question it.

Heading inside I kept an eye out for anyone who might have tried to sneak up behind me. My heart was pounding out Lainey's name over and over again. She had to be alright.

A clang sounded from the basement. I rushed down the stairs and heard a thud followed by a feminine grunt. Was Lainey down there?

The second my feet hit the bottom of the stairs I scanned the room taking in the scene around me. Robert was sitting in the back, bleeding profusely from a wound in his chest. Lainey was panting, a sword clutched in her hands, and bleeding from a cut on her arm. Next to her stood a man who, as the baker had described, was as big as a bear.

Without further hesitation I swung my sword at the assassin. Only one thought was on my mind and it was to protect Lainey.

The assassin met my sword with a resounding clang and then quickly rotated as Lainey took a swing at him. When their swords clashed Lainey gritted her teeth and seethed from the impact. The assassin turned back to me. We continued this back and forth for a few seconds before I had enough. The next time he turned for me I swung out my fist, successfully connecting with his jaw.

The assassin growled and instead of going for Lainey again he aimed his sword at me. I barely had time to get my sword up, causing me to stumble back when they connected. He used my misstep to shove me back into the wall. My head snapped back, hitting the wall with a thud. Black tinged the corners of my eyes and my arms slackened slightly, not able to push against him.

Suddenly Lainey lunged forward, her sword slicing straight through the assassin's abdomen. Her eyes met mine over his shoulder, her expression stunned. She pulled her sword free and then staggered back a few steps.

The assassin's eyes were on mine as he fell to the ground. I slumped forward and rubbed the back of my head where a knot was forming.

"Lainey," a voice rasped.

Lainey dropped her sword and whirled towards her father. Kneeling in front of him she wrapped his hands in hers. I wanted to go to them, to comfort Lainey, but held my ground. I could tell there was no helping Mr. Rainier. So, I held my tongue and let them have that last moment together.