TWO

Hannah sits on her couch contently, watching Andrew pick Henry up and make flying noises as they ran around their living room. Sofia was sat by her side, giggles leaving her as Henry's laughter fills the space around them. Something about it was just so contagious.

Her two friends came over most days of the week when they wanted to hang out or do some drinking. Hannah didn't have anyone to watch over Henry except her friends and his friends parents, and she didn't like bothering them much. So they resorted to spending nights at one of their apartments.

"So, how've you been lately? It's been a while." Sofia asks, nudging her friend slightly.

Hannah shrugs her shoulders with a small smile. "It's a little tight right now, but we're making it work."

"You've always made it work, Han. You'll be okay."

Sofia and Hannah had been friends ever since primary school, the Brazilian girl had always been there for Hannah and vice versa. She had practically co-parented Henry for the past five years, always watching over him when Hannah was busy with work or meetings.

The pair had met Andy during their final year of secondary at a random party, they didn't go to the same schools but they had somehow formed a strong bond with one another. Hannah was forever grateful for her friends, in the midst of her awful family life, these two had been the only ones to stick around for her.

"Alright, time for bed Henry!" Hannah calls, pushing herself off the couch as she spots the clock hands turn to nine.

The little boy let out a whine and snuggles himself into Andy's arms. "Mummy, it's so early. We're having so much fun!"

"I know, but you have school tomorrow. Can't have a good day if you're not well rested, can you?"

Andy noticed the boy in his arms wasn't budging and decided a compromise would be best. "What if I stay here for the night and take you to school tomorrow?"

Henry's face almost instantly lit up at those words, a large small overtaking his lips as he nodded his head enthusiastically. "We can have pancakes too!"

"We'll have whatever you want!"

Hannah lets out a revived sigh, mouthing a silent thank you to her friend and watching as he picks up Henry and walks into the bathroom to brush his teeth.

"Sometimes I don't know what I'd do without you two." she admits to Sofia. "He can be so difficult sometimes and I can't always handle it."

Sofia moves closer to her friend, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Han, you know you can always come to us whenever you need help."

"I know, I just feel like a burden sometimes."

"You're a single mum with no family other than us, it's okay to ask for help. You're not a burden, please stop saying that."

Hannah pulls her best friend into a tight hug, a silent thank you passing between them. It was a serene moment for them, until another eight jumped on top of them. Henry's little giggles gave him away to the two women, causing a chorus of laughter from the three adults.

"Time to tuck me in!" the little boy announces, grabbing hold of the two womens hands and dragging them towards his bedroom, to which the two of them obliged with Andy in tow.

Whenever the three of them were around during Henry's bedtime, they made it a habit to always tuck him in together. Sometimes they would even read him a book with each of them acting out certain characters throughout.

Other times Andy would whip out his guitar and sing them a lullaby, which would more often than not result in three sleeping bodies rather than one.

Hannah pulls back his green duvet, waiting for him to climb between his sheets. As soon as he laid down, she was pulling the covers over him and each of the three adults took turns tucking in a different area; Henry lost in his own little giggles.