09

RULE #09: ALWAYS keep the relationship professional

Mark opened his eyes, squinting slightly as he adjusted to his surroundings. It wasn't that bright, save the soft gleam of moonlight streaming in from the window to his left.

He wasn't sure how long he was out for, but assumed it had to be a while considering how numb his body felt. He wiggled his fingers in hopes of getting his blood running again, but was surprised to feel another hand enclasped in his.

Turning slightly to his side, he was met with a sleeping Aera, body hunched uncomfortably over the edge of the bed as she dozed quietly. Her face was hidden in the crook of her elbow, her hair in a state of disarray as compared to her usual prim-and-proper style.

Mark took note of the abandoned desk chair next to her— she must have moved to the floor to get more comfortable, though it didn't really look like she was.

He glanced at her fingers which were still loosely entwined with his.

Trying not to wake the sleeping girl up, he slowly let go of her hand as he adjusted his position, pushing himself up to rest against the headboard to sit down.

But it seemed as though Aera was a light sleeper, as the slight movement caused her to stir awake immediately.

"Mark?" She mumbled in her hazed state, but was quick to come to her senses as she sat up. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" Her voice was louder this time, concern laced in her tone as any sign of sleepiness disappeared from her face.

"I'm fine," he replied, his voice hoarse due to how long he was out.

"Water. Do you need water? I'll go get it for you." Aera was quick on her feet as she dashed out of the room, leaving the injured boy with no time to reply.

She was back in an instant, a bottle of water in her hands as she unscrewed the cap for Mark, passing the beverage to him.

"Thanks," he said curtly as he gulped the water down in hopes of quenching his thirst.

Aera stood there, wringing her fingers as she waited for him to be done. Memories of the night before flashed across her mind, Mark's barely conscious body in her hands and his blood staining her skin.

"Why aren't you in bed? It's late," he said, voice sounding a little clearer as he turned to his right to place the bottle on the bedside table. The clock on it flashed 04:32.

"I couldn't sleep..." she trailed off, avoiding his eyes. "Not until just now, anyway."

He nodded, choosing not to say anything. Instead, he lifted aside the comforter on the bed, making space. "Get in."

Aera's eyes widened. "Huh?"

"You shouldn't be sleeping on the floor like that, it'll only hurt your back. So get in."

Upon sensing the girl's hesitance, Mark continued, "I know you won't be sleeping well in the guest room, anyway. So get in already, please. I wanna go back to sleep."

Aera bit her lip, blushing slightly as she knew he was right. She hadn't been able to sleep properly ever since the incident, mind reeling every time she closed her eyes.

"Okay," she agreed finally, inching towards the empty space next to him.

The boy was quick to cover her with the comforter the moment she laid on her back, seemingly unaware of the lack of space between them. The bed wasn't huge— just a mere twin-sized one, but the fact didn't seem to faze Mark the way it did Aera.

She stared at the ceiling, hands clasped over her stomach as she tried hard not to touch the boy next to her. The lack of distance between them made her hyper-aware of her surroundings, and she knew that Mark too hadn't gone back to sleep yet as he mirrored her actions.