⚡️ Chapter 25 ⚡️

Vega was surprised when Hagrid suddenly flung himself onto Harry's neck. And the fact that Hagrid was at least twice the size of a normal man, it was no laughing matter. Harry, about to collapse under Hagrid's weight, was rescued by Vega, Ron and Hermione, who each seized Hagrid under an arm and heaved him back into the cabin.

Hagrid allowed himself to be steered into a chair and slumped over the table, sobbing uncontrollably, his face glazed with tears that dripped down into his tangled beard.

"Hagrid, what is it?" Hermione asked, aghast.

It was then that Vega spotted an official-looking letter lying open on the table, and walked over to pick it, noticing that it was definitely sent to Hagrid by the Ministry of Magic.

"What's going on, Hagrid?" Vega inquired as she eyed the purple seal on it. "What's this?"

Hagrid's sobs redoubled, but he motioned at the black-haired girl to take it and read aloud:

Dear Mr. Hagrid,

Further to our inquiry into the attack by a Hippogriff on a student in your class, we have accepted the assurances of Professor Dumbledore that you bear no responsibility for the regrettable incident.

"Well, that's okay then, Hagrid!" Ron said, clapping Hagrid on the shoulder. But Hagrid continued to sob, and waved one of his gigantic hands, inviting Vega to read on.

However, we must register our concern about the Hippogriff in question. We have decided to uphold the official complaint of Mr. Lucius Malfoy, and this matter will therefore be taken to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures.

The hearing will take place on April 20th, and we ask you to present yourself and your Hippogriff at the Committee's offices in London on that date. In the meantime, the Hippogriff should be kept tethered and isolated.

Yours in fellowship...

Vega trailed off as she reached the list of school governors at the end of the letter. She looked up at Hagrid with wide eyes, knowing that none of this was going to end up well.

"Oh," Ron said awkwardly when Vega finished reading off the letter. "But you said Buckbeak isn't a bad Hippogriff, Hagrid. I bet he'll get off,"

"Yeh don' know them gargoyles at the Committee fer the Disposal o' Dangerous Creatures!" choked Hagrid, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. "They've got it in fer interestin' creatures!"

There was nothing they could do, in Vega's opinion, to help against the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures. It was one of the most corrupted departments in the Ministry and only rarely did they properly investigate any case and give a reasonable ruling. Lives weren't important to the Ministry.

A sudden sound from the corner of Hagrid's cabin made Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione jump slightly and whip around to see – Buckbeak the Hippogriff was lying in the corner, chomping on something that was oozing blood all over the floor. Vega turned to look at Hagrid again.

"I couldn' leave him tied up out there in the snow!" Hagrid choked. "All on his own! At Christmas,"

Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked at one another. They had never seen eye to eye with Hagrid about what he called 'interesting creatures' and other people called 'terrifying monsters' – except for maybe Vega. On the other hand, there didn't seem to be any particular harm in Buckbeak.