3.11: Amends

It took me longer than I'd have liked to realise not only was I walking bare-foot in the snow and cutting up my feet on the stones ingrained in the hardened dirt, I was also completely nude

It took me longer than I'd have liked to realise not only was I walking bare-foot in the snow and cutting up my feet on the stones ingrained in the hardened dirt, I was also completely nude. A fact that neither Inas nor Adalwin felt inclined to mention as we traipsed through the woods. In fact, they'd barely spoken a word to me, never mind glance in my direction.

I wanted to blame it on a combination of physical exhaustion and clouded mind - It was taking all I had left in me to carry on being me, after all. Then, I considered that the true reason for my ignorance was the remaining heat that had been coursing through my veins. Now that my body was adjusting to the reality of me being back in control, human and vulnerable, it was forcing me to confront the situation I was currently in. It was the middle of the winter, inches of snow were layered on the ground, and there was a consistently bitter wind blowing through the woods; each gust so forceful it seemed intent on harm.

It took a single look to the back of Adalwin's head for him to stop in his tracks, a slight chuckle leaving his lips in a soft, ill-mannered way. As he turned, the pair had eyed up a tree to their right, Inas trying to conceal the smile as she did so.

I turned my attention to the tree and felt my mouth go dry. I tried to think up some petty jab to offer the pair of them, but instead dragged my feet to the impressive chestnut tree and knelt by its trunk. My movement was slow, my eyes clamped shut as I considered that my feet were growing increasingly numb with each step.

It was when I rifled within the greenery at the base of the tree that my worry eased slightly. Dhana was known to hide our clothing around the forest, folded neatly and placed in plastic zip locks - it wasn't exactly a surprise that she'd informed Inas and Adalwin of the locations. I had wondered why there was a slight deviation from their common routes, but I suppose they'd considered my current state with great care.

Though that care only extended so far, the pause only lasted for a further minute. It was just enough time to get to grips with the clothing items, but not pull them on, then the pair continued along the path murmuring in hushed tones. Shouting after them to hold on seemed as though it would be a wasted breath, especially in this weather, especially when I'd just inflicted both physical and emotional pain.

I felt myself hesitate as I opened the package because as I pulled out my own outfit, Dhana's provision of items had slid out alongside them. Namely, a thick wool jumper that exuded her scent.

I swallowed back the feeling that had caused my heart to clutch up and quickly sealed up her clothes in the bag. My left hand went to grip the tree trunk for balance, but forced its way through the wood instead; a large dent was left in the base.

I spent one heart-wrenching moment taking deep breaths before I stood and dressed. I returned the package beneath the tree and slowly returned to the path. Each step now causes a different sensation to trill through me.

This is why it took me a couple of minutes to catch up to the couple. The lack of distance they'd travelled had been a surprise to me as I sprinted my way towards them until I caught a glimpse of a small group of werewolves on the path.