04

"WHO denotes WORLD VIEW?"

"What does that even mean?" Chaehyun giggles, and Dayeon giggles with her. Chaehyun's happiness is infectious.

"I don't know how to stop getting these emails," Dayeon says. "I emailed the professor when I dropped the class, but she never replied to it, and I keep getting these."

"You're cursed to drink from the fountain of confusing knowledge," Chaehyun says, faux-serious until she erupts into a smile. "Oh yeah, I have your cake!"

"Am I right again or something?" Dayeon asks, and Chaehyun lightly punches her shoulder.

"No, we had some leftovers that we can't sell anymore, so I took some for you," Chaehyun says.

"You're giving me an expired cake?" Dayeon teases, and Chaehyun is quick to deny it.

"Not expired! Just... a bit stale," Chaehyun says and looks at the cake. "If you don't want it, I can give it to someone else."

"No!" Dayeon says, and she reaches for the takeout box before Chaehyun can put it away. "I love your carrot cake."

Chaehyun smiles wryly. "It's not my carrot cake, you know. I don't make it. We get them frozen."

"Revealing your trade secrets already?" Dayeon asks, eyebrows raised. "What if I worked at a rival bakery and only befriended you to learn your amazing baking secrets?"

"Then I'd say you might have to stop being my friend because you've learned all my secrets. The secret's out: we get frozen cakes."

Dayeon pauses. "Well, I won't stop. I'm a pretty good spy. I stick with it."

"Even though you just blew your cover?"

"Especially then," Dayeon assures her, and Chaehyun snorts. She hands her a plastic fork, and Dayeon digs in.

"I don't get how anyone would want to have vegetables in their cake," Chaehyun says, watching Dayeon smear icing over her lips in her haste to fit it in her mouth.

"Me neither," Dayeon says. "But it tastes good. You want to try?"

Chaehyun bites her lip. "Maybe like, a little bit?"

Dayeon cuts her a tiny bite, with a glob of icing on it, and holds her hand under her fork to catch any crumbs as she lifts it over to feed it to Chaehyun.

Chaehyun makes a funny face as she opens her mouth and eats it, and smacks her lips after she swallows her bite.

"Thoughts?"

"It's okay," Chaehyun says lightly. "Not my thing."

"Suit yourself," Dayeon says, and stuffs another bite into her mouth.

"You have icing all over your lips." Chaehyun's already looking for some napkins in her bag. Dayeon licks her lips, and Chaehyun watches her, amused.

"Am I seductive now?" Dayeon asks, and licks her lips again, slowly.

"Definitely not," Chaehyun says, smiley. "I can see the food in your mouth."

Dejected, Dayeon closes her mouth and swallows. "The life of a spy is hard."