Pearls

The next morning, Amelia told Alex about the weird cobblestone building they found, while Kat was off searching for something spherical to put in there.

Kat never found anything but had brought back some mushrooms and decided to cook them on the campfire they had built.

A couple hours later they find a pearl about the size of the holes in the ruined portal.
They decide to go over to said ruined portal and insert it into one of the slots. It starts glowing.
"What the hell?" says Kat. Alex and Amelia stare at it. 

[2 hours later]

Kat finds another pearl and decides to hide it. Kat comes across a weird glowing animal, who then notices her and chases after her.  She screamed in fear, "Help! Help!" as she ran from it Towards the camp. It hits some sort of forcefield around the camp.
"What the-" they all say. The creature keeps trying to break the forcefield, as they all run towards their make-shift tent. The creature sees they are gone and walks away. They all look at the glowing pyramid in the center of their tent
"Okay this place is really freaking me out." says Kat. "I agree," says Alex.
30 minutes later, Kat leaves without anyone else noticing. she goes to put the pearl she hid into the next slot, and goes off looking for more food to bring back so she didn't seem suspicious.