Three

Lucas

Mia Griffin was not what I had expected. Bless her soul for trying to save the waste of space she called her father, but someone should have reminded her that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I didn't trust either of them not to attempt something stupid, and why would I make this situation messier than it had to be by allowing them that chance?

It had always amused me the way that people thought they could negotiate terms. It was rare that someone could offer me something that changed my mind, something that I wanted in exchange for what was owed, and Mia had nothing when she walked into my office. She was just as desperate as her old man and if she meant for it to come across as endearing, she missed the mark because all it had achieved was to irritate me further.

My screen lit up with a number I didn't recognise, catching my attention. "Lucas Foster," I answered, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder.

There was silence before a small voice replied, "It's Mia."

I placed down the pen in my hand and leaned back in my chair, smiling to myself. "Hello, princess."

"You have to promise me you won't hurt him," she said. "You have to promise that you'll leave him alone."

I rolled my eyes at the words. "If I get what I asked for I'll have no need to harm him."

There was another silence down the line, only the faint sound of her breathing came to my ears before she spoke again. "Okay. Whatever you want."

It wasn't a lie when I told her that I always got what I wanted. One way or another I'd convince people to come around to my way of thinking. My family name came with a reputation and with Dad no longer here it fell to me to maintain the honor.

"I'll come and get you now."

"Now?" The word was a squeak of surprise.

"No time like the present," I told her before hanging up. I didn't need to hear her try to unsuccessfully barter her way out of this one.

After I finished signing off on the paperwork I'd been interrupted from, I called Dante to tell him I'd be busy for the rest of the afternoon before I slipped into my black Maserati to collect my payment. Pulling up outside the Griffin household, the car looked completely out of place next to the dilapidated building, proving they had nothing of interest to offer me.

Knocking on the door, I waited for an answer. There was no need for force when Mia had agreed so willingly.

"Ready?" I asked when she pulled it open.

Mia turned away from me without a response and walked back into the house. As I stepped over the threshold to follow her, she threw a look over her shoulder and said, "I didn't invite you in."

To say I was surprised at the bite in her tone would be an understatement. I wonder where this feisty attitude was when she came to see me earlier. Not that it would have changed the outcome.

"Sweetheart, you're going to hurt my feelings if you keep talking to me like that," I told her, slapping a hand over my heart in mock pain.

Hector was standing in the living room when we walked in, eyes red-rimmed, though whether it was from crying or drinking I couldn't be sure. Mia walked straight over, hugging him tightly. She looked nothing like her father but the dark features she possesses must be inherited from her late mother.

"Mia, please," Hector choked, clinging to her.

"I have to do this, Dad," she said as she pulled back from the hug. "You kept me safe so let me return the favor."