Ch.3

One would expect me to just sit in my room, pouting or crying; but I'm not like normal people. After the initial shock of the verdict, I fell into a sort of apathetic trance as I waited for my parents to return. For once, I was actually interested in the book I had been reading. I guess reading really does transport you to another, better place.

  I was startled out of my apathetic bliss by the slamming of a door down the hall. The vibrations rattled the window. My door was opened without a knock. Typical.

  Dad was the first one to speak- well, yell. "What were you thinking, robbing a store like that!"

  I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When the issue arose for the first time, he had believed what I said: that all it was was a misunderstanding. But now, that clearly wasn't the case. "I didn't do anything," I said without a clue as to where I was going to lead the conversation.

  "Before today, I thought you hadn't done anything either, but the trial said otherwise."

  "Dear," Mom started. "He can take our punishment later. I'm sure you remember the day you were sentenced to public school."

  Dad looked like he wanted to lay on the punishments right then and there, but he listened to Mom and contained his anger. He slammed the door after they left.

  Seconds later, Ostentatious burst through the door. "Is that the sun that's blinding me, or is it your bright personality?"

  "No. That's bad."

  "Man, I've been running dry recently." He crossed the room and sat on the bed.

  "Yes, you have." Silent paused, creating an uneasy silence (no pun intended). "Why did you do it?" he asked solemnly.

  Ostentatious shrugged. "It didn't seem right to let you go through that kind of unfair punishment alone."

  "Unfair? You weren't even accused of doing something wrong." I coughed painfully as my voice grew to its loudest volume, which still wasn't much. "You shouldn't have done that. Now, you've wasted your senior year." Another set of lung-tearing coughs plauged me.

   "Take it easy," said Ostentatious without a shred of sensitivity. "And don't get mad at me for trying to help. Besides, you won't make it through Algebra 2 without me."

  "I'm still taller than you." The boys made direct eye cotact and burst out laughing. They wiped away tears that had been forced out by their heaving. "But, seiously, why are we taking Algebra 2? We've already taken it."

  "All I know is what was on the sheet I was given. Oh! That reminds me." He pulled out the couple of papers from his  grey, hoodie pocket and handed one to Silent.

               1st period:
                    English

               2nd period:
                     Free

               3rd period:
                     Algebra 2

               4th period:
                     Band

               Lunch

               5th period:
                      Physics

               6th period:
                      Free

               7th period:
                       Free

  "Why all the free?"

  Ostentatious rolled his eyes. "So now you're complaining because we have too little work? Please, make up your mind."

  I spoke more seriously again. "Thanks, by the way."

  Ostentatious grinned and winked. "Is that your flattery I hear, or are you just looking at me?"

  I couldn't help but close my eyes and breathe deeply. "Please leave before I make you."

   "I don't argue with vipers," Ostentatious said, raising his hands and his eyebrows.

  Panicking, I whispered, "Sh. Are you trying to get me in trouble?"

  Ostentatious swore and lowered his voice. "I forgot, but I'll leave now.  I've got to get ready for the school year. It's only a couple of weeks away."

  "Yeah, I should start getting ready too."

  Ostentatious grew nervous. "Do you want any, uh, financial help?" He winced already knowing the answer. I looked away from him. "Forget it. I'm sorry I asked."

  "Um." I blushed. "Mom and Dad won't be helping, so," I coughed, "I don't think I can books."

  "Don't worry about it, Silas. I'll see you later."

  I nodded as he walked out the door and took his place on the bed. I leaned back into the pillow and let out a frustrated yell. My voice cracked, so the meaning was lost, but I still felt better- wait, no, nevermind. I didn't. That was just a draft from the window.

  I should probably tell you all why public school is such an atrocious punishment. Metacryptals have heightened physical abilities: smell, sight, hearing, taste (although, heightened taste is pretty useless, in my opinion). Some of us, under the right conditions, can have extra powers similar to an animal, but the only two of those were outcasted into the streets.

  What I'm trying to say is, we're pretty powerful, and the humans aren't. Our towns and societies are specially adapted to us, meaning that our walls are more sound-proof, our machines are quieter and our everyday lives have less sense-destroying nonsense. The schools, however, are the furthest thing from said adaptions. It can be incredibly overwhelming. I'd have to ask Dad how he made it through the whole year.

  Without Ostentatious there to distract me from the pain of the situation, I fell back into my trance where I stayed until school started.