Children Waiting

"Nya." A sing-songy voice whispered into her ear. She groaned, slamming a pillow over her ears. "Guess what day is it."

"Leave me alone and let me sleep day?" Nya grumbled, pulling the blankets up to her chin. Nya tried to recall what occasion she should be excited for.

"Nope. Never that day." She felt a hand rest on her shoulder. Jay was being particularly annoying this morning. She tried to think over all the things she might have to face during the day ahead. Maybe some more serpentine crawled out from whatever pit they kept coming from, maybe there was another realm that needed traveling to, or maybe they would finally check zombies off from their bucket list.

"It's only one of my favorite days ever of course. Besides my birthday, Christmas, and any other holiday where people get me stuff." Jay joked. Nya lifted her pillow off her head to face him. His messy hair was wilder, and his eyes practically glowed blue with the setting sun shining on them through the windows. He had that goofy smile on his lips, the one that made her fall in love with him. The room smelled like rain and the morning mist that settled over the monastery. She sighed wistfully.

"I still have no clue what you are talking about." Nya sat up, stretching. Jay sat down next to her. She pressed her forehead into his shoulder. "You know I hate guessing games."

"Only because you aren't good at them." Jay teased. Nya looked up at him and flicked his nose. He winced back dramatically. She noted the heavy bags under his eyes. She began to try to ask him about it, but she was playfully shoved back into her pillow before she could.

"Hey what was that for!" Jay said as he laughed.

"Tell me what day it is, you big goof," Nya said,  bringing herself up to lean back on the headboard. She hugged her knees, gazing out of the window. She loved the view of the monastery in the mornings. The whisper of the wind, the dew on the cherry blossom trees, and the sound of the rivers rushing somewhere in the distance.

"You really don't remember? It's your birthday Nya." Jay proclaimed into the still air. The peaceful moment was broken with those words. She tried to avoid all talk of her birthday, in all the years she had known Jay she hadn't even told him what day it was. She felt her body tense.

"How did you know it was today?" Nya asked, jumping out of bed. She quickly searched for something to pull her hair up with. She looked at herself in the mirror, and staring back at her was her mother. She was written all over Nya's face. Usually, Nya wouldn't have noticed but ever since she had found out what had happened to her parents it was hard not to. Especially on a day like today.

"Kai told me, I thought it was finally time for you to have a real birthday." Jay walked up behind her wrapping his arms around her waist. "Are you okay?

She pulled herself away. The window was propped open, she set her hands on the sill. She leaned out of it, trying to clear her head with a breath of fresh air.

"I'm fine, I just don't think it's the right time for a celebration. There's not a lot to be celebrating." An awkward laugh left her lips. "You know with Master Wu missing, and Kai being how he is after you know. I just think that I haven't celebrated in this long. Why start now?" Nya spun around, rubbing the back of her head. She could tell Jay didn't buy it.

"Nya, you only turn nineteen once. I know there's been a lot going on, but you know what better than a party to lift everyone's spirits. You deserve it Nya. Plus I might have already planned the whole day, and there might be balloons waiting for you outside." Jay gently brought her hands into his. "Come on Nya, you deserve this."

"Jay you don't understand I-" Before she could even fully protest she was pulled out of the door.

"Happy Birthday!" A clump of voices said in unison. Balloons flew past her face. Another awkward laugh left her lips.