Chapter 1: Beauty is a curse

It was a very long long time ago on the city of Athens that a little child was born, she was blessed with great beauty that would rival the beauty of Aphrodite. As she grew it was evident that her beauty grew to both in the outside and the inside making her parents feel both proud and blessed to have such a lovely daughter, her name was Delphina. She looked like a living marble statue with a silver-blonde hair and blue eyes that looked like sapphires but then again, despite of her remarkable beauty she was kind, naive, loving, caring and humble which was the opposite of other women that felt superior because of her beauty, among them Aphrodite who always claimed to be the most beautiful of them all.

Tragedy had stroked the life of Delphina, her father died during a fishing trip while her mother died because of an illness leaving her alone and vulnerable at the age of 19, before her mother died she became a courtesan that danced, gave company and never slept with a client still she was desired by all men, so much so that they barely went to visit the temple of the goddess of love, her popularity gave birth to the rumors that the courtesan was more beautiful than the goddess herself. Aphrodite had enought when she heard this and on a fit of jealousy she went to see who this mortal was and also to see if these rumors were true. The night covered the beautiful city and the salty air combained with the incense created a beautiful perfume but that was of no importance on those moments.

"I'll need a disguise" She thought to herself

The beautiful body of the goddess turn into that of an old woman that needed a cane to stand and walk, she hoped that this disguise worked for her as it worked with Athena in the past, when she had arrived to the house of courtesans that was full of men but they barely paid attention to the women beside them for their eyes were paying attention to a woman in blue clothing that was dancing, that woman was Delphina. The goddess was in shock at the beauty of the young woman that indeed surpassed her own, she felt the urge to turn her into a hidious monster to set an example but soon she had a better idea.

"If this mortal feels such pride of her beauty then soon i'll turn that beauty into a curse" she tought to herself while a treacherous smile was drawn on her face.

Narcissus came to her mind, he was a man that was beautiful but who was unable to love anyone besides him so if she paired him to ensure a loveless marriage like the one she had with Hephestus was a better plan but to put it on march she would need of her son: Himeros.

In the meantime, on Olympus, Hera was in the middle of a family dispute. Amphitrite came to be divorced from Poseidon after a breaking point involving yet another infidelity, it was both disappointing and tiring for Hera, she remembered that her, Hestia, Demeter, Adamas and Hades raised him to be a good husband but the influence of Zeus as a party animal rubbed on him. Days later she divorced them and gave Amphitrite a lof of rights as former queen of the seas.

She let out a sigh of annoyance and apologized to the former queen of the seas "I'm truly sorry for the way my brother treated you on your marriage" The hugged her

Amphitrite wiped her tears and thanked the queen of the gods for divorcing her, then left to the seas. Hera knew the hell that was to suffer an infidelity each time you turn around and the idea of getting divorced was very tentative but the promises of fidelity from Zeus and getting revenge on every mistress made her stay, it was clear that Amphitrite felt free and relief from a loveless marriage while for Poseidon -despite not showing it- it was also great to have a freedom that he did not wanted to loose.

He was about to leave until Hera spoke up to give him a lecture "Brother, we need to talk"

He could feel his hair raise up and his skin became more pale, it was true that Poseidon was known as the tyrant king of the seas but if there was someone that shadowed that reputation and even caused him to be afraid, well that was Hera.

He stopped, turn around and made a question "What is it that you want, Hera?"

She walked to him and gave him one hard slap on the back of the head like when they were children, then she said angry "You're such an idiot" then asked " Do you have an idea of what you just lost?"

Poseidon wasn't showing emotion as always but he was indeed feeling unconfortable, a bit of shame which were feelings that his sisters could only cause, he only managed to reply with serenity in his voice "Things between I and Amphitrite did not worked, they never did"

Hera was still trying to process this confession, when it came to her brothers she had to admit that Hades and Poseidon were the ones that were very responsible with their kingdoms but the only one that was incredible as a husband was Hades who loved his wife with a devotion and love that was beyond that of a human (and maybe a god).

Hera spoke up asking what first came to her mind "Why can't you be more like Hades?"

 But at the eyes of Poseidon, Hades had just been lucky while he had to sacrifice happiness for practicality to ensure his position as king of the seas, something that his sisters did not understood. He replied " I'm sorry that I cannot be like Hades, Hera"

Hera realized what she just said and kept quiet, she might not be able to understand her brother completly so she wished that some day he could change and be more open to himself.

Months went by and Aphrodite's plan worked, she managed to make sure Narcissus met Delphina, under her and Himeros's influence was able to slowly court her. At first it was just visits to see her dance and talk to her while drinking wine and days went by those talks became more and more of a courtship turning the tables, turning the courtesan into the courted one, but remember that Delphina was naive and she could not see nor imagene that Narcissus had second intentions.

The moment Narcissus saw Delphina his heart was struck with an arrow forged with infatuation, delussion, lust and the need to have, in other words: an arrow of sexual desire and love based on physical appearance, he wanted her to have a wife that matched his beauty and to relief his sexual needs so the young woman was unable to tell that she was being decieved, when the moment came he payed and asked her hand for marriage something that made Delphina feel she was over the moon, she gave the news to her friend Kaira.

Kaira was a bit older than Delphina but she was wiser than her, so when she heard the news her initial thought was to tell her to think over this before doing something she could regret, they only knew eachother for three months so Delphina really did not know him well enough, she knew that trying to change her mind would not work and that Delphina would see it as jealousy so Kaira decided to keep quiet.

She only managed to say, faking joy "I'm very happy for you, Delphi"

A month later the day of the wedding came and go, as soon as the married life started what seemed to be a dream come true turned into a slow death sentence, Narcissus stopped being charming and caring, he simply used her to have sex, he isolated her fearing someone would take her away from him and soon she had to pretend everything was fine. 

Whenever there was a party she could hear the other women talk about how lucky she was to have such a perfect husband and she could also feel their eyes on her, how they were full of envy while she wished that if only she could tell them how wrong they were. 

Finally Aphrodite had won by making Delphina feel that beauty was a curse.