🥀⌇ epigraph

TEARS OF A VILLAIN
a lisa au

prod. staerryy 2022.

EXTENDED SUMMARY

The infamous old tale of Snow White and the Evil Queen has been passed down word-of-mouth for generations after generations on end. Yet in every single rendition, the evil queen is always portrayed as the vain, selfish stepmother of the beloved princess of the medieval realm, the Enchanted Forest.

It is better known that tales often narrate the conflict between the good and the evil. The real unspoken conflict, however, exists between the truth and the lies. This recreation is not the age-old tale of the lovely Snow White; it's rather her stepmother's villain origin story.

GENRES

majorly angst, infinitesimal fluff.

WARNINGS

coercion, unhealthy relationship dynamics, minor characters doing mature stuff (i couldn't age them up a lot sorry), language, child marriage(?), implied smut, mentions of torment/abuse, character death(s) but none in gore detail.

; also, let me clear out that jungkook is a significant romantic interest although he doesn't really get enough spotlight in my storyline since this is more of a lisa centred fic, so i can't exactly guarantee much emphasis over romance here in case you came to read only for the ship. sincere apologies for the same!

; as for people who came for solely reading the story without much care of the ship etc y'all are pretty much welcome!

DEDICATION

although the thought of reimagining disney tales and other folklores has de facto been a long time dream for me, the actual motivation to write this as the first tale dates back to almost a month ago when k00alababy and i were grading all disney fairytales for fun and somehow we proceeded to rant over badly written fairytales instead.

we collectively discussed about the unfair character development in snow white and sleeping beauty and some other stories which later sort of briefly laid a foundation of how i could outline some changes to the plot and make it more logical to say the least. so special thanks to you bestie for unknowingly suggesting me an idea lol💜

A/N
:: do read::

before you start reading the story (which is in the following chapter) here is a brief confession i wanted to plug in to lighten up some vexed feelings in my heart.

now i don't obviously know how many of the readers reading this story are avid fans of snow white but to be very frank, i dislike the fairytale, or at least how disney filmed it. don't get me wrong but, even as a child i didn't like the story given the absurd characterisation of the evil stepmother and exaggerated ton of songs in it to stretch the plotless imagery (i digress anyway). personally though, i would still give the makers a benefit of doubt considering the movie came decades ago and was one of disney's oldest films. snow's persona in the film catered to the picture of an ideal princess — gentle, caring and loving. nothing wrong with that though, her kind nature makes her an icon of her era, i just felt that the way they polarised the characters without any middle ground of morals was a tad bit disappointing when i revisited the movie years later.

so to clarify, the original fiction reads that snow was aged barely seven during the setting of the plot and disney tried to age it up to fourteen yet they didn't spare an effort to make a few changes that could've had greatly improved the story. now some aspects of the film were actually nice, the pacing of everything was weird since there barely any substance in it when the grim aspects were removed, the prince showed up nowhere throughout the runtime except in the beginning and the end. his character was too much in the background to establish a connection between him and the viewers. but it was a kids film so who cares atp.

the ending scene was cute though honestly, i felt that snow and the prince could've improved further. i get that the whole point of altering the tale was to make it children-friendly but half of the logic doesn't sit right among kids too. the version you are about to read is merely my take of how i perceived the story could've been (again, my core intent is not to shade the original tale of snow white in case anybody feels offended lol).

hence, i've attempted to recreate the whole setting in order to match the references used in the movie and i tried to add in a few extra elements that match with the brothers grimm version, too. there are certain elements of 'maleficent' too lol (not exactly related but i just wanted to share, i guess).

and yes, you will find the depiction of the magic mirror and the seven dwarfs i stuffed in somewhere and i'm guessing that you might hate me for the latter lmao so i'm just getting some facts correct in advance.

ps : for the newer readers, a small note that i published this work in 2022 and recently (in 2023) there has been talks of a live action version of snow white and the way the cast is speaking about it with so much spite guilt trips me into thinking how snow white wasn't that bad of a film at the end of the day. maybe lacking on plot, but some details (as claimed by the actress who is playing the role of snow) are so incorrect and the way they wanna turn her into a girl boss who hates men and concept of love is shallow to be honest. idk about her but what completes snow as a character is love and care. to throw the 'stalker' prince into oblivion is not girl power in my opinion. they are free to create their own interpretations in the adaptation but if they're actually claiming it's an adaptation then they shouldn't meddle with the very essence that builds the character and destroy it. either they could keep the character from start to finish without running their work agenda on it, or rethink the entire plot and the character arc which could be loosely based off the original but turns out to be entirely different, evidently doing so without hurting anyone who adores the old movie.

::

here is where i recede my pep talk!

hopefully you would like my supposed parodical narrative of how snow white should've ended, or at least reflect over the thought if the evil queen was as wicked as the tale suggests :)

happy reading!