Chapter 12: Mad

The door swung open before I could even knock. My hand that was in the air lowered, and his eyes looked my body up and down. He bent down, looking at the blood that covered my knees. His jaw tensed, but it relaxed once he looked back up at me and met my eyes.

He put his hand on the back of my knee as he looked at it further. Worry flashed across his face, and he looked at it as if he was trying to determine how bad it was. 

His hand slid up my leg as he stood back up to his full height, "Come inside."

He grabbed onto my hand to pull me inside, but I winced since my palms were scraped. He noticed this and dropped my hand, grabbing my wrist and pulling my hand towards his face. He whispered while looking at it, "Fuck."

He put his hand on my lower back, guiding me through his house. I looked around, observing my surroundings. 

Grey walls, black flooring, completely clean with a hint of a mint smell in the air. He kept his house cold, something that didn't surprise me.

We entered a bathroom, and he flipped the light switch on. He ordered, "Take a seat on the counter."

I jumped up and watched while he searched through a drawer. As he started to pull some stuff out, he asked me with an even voice, "What happened?"

"I kicked somebody's ass," I summarized. 

His eyes narrowed. I let out a sigh and told him, "This guy just started...grabbing me. I elbowed him in the nose and kneed him in the gut, but I scraped my skin against the road."

"I'll find out who the fuck that was," he muttered under his breath.

My eyebrows lowered. How would he find out?

"Where do you hurt?" he asked me, walking over and standing between my legs. 

"Just my knees and palms," I told him, but his eyes scanned over me anyway, trying to see if there were anything else. 

He pressed a wet rag against the red areas gently, and told me, "Tell me if I hurt you."

His movements were gentle, and he looked laser-focused. He gently put a band-aid on each of my palms, before grabbing two to put on my knees.

"Self-defense teacher, tattoo artist, and a doctor?" I teased him, and a small smirk formed on his face.

"I'm good at looking for injuries when I fight people so that I can use them to my advantage," he told me. "Now, I'm looking for them in a different way. To help you. Maybe your ass was onto something with Venus being in retrograde."

"I said Mercury," I correct.

"Same shit."

I laughed slightly. I watched his smile as he covered my knees.

He looks different when he smiles. It's the only time when happiness reaches his eyes. His green eyes have a warmth to them, and lines form on his cheeks. The wall he has in front of him disappears, even if it's just for a second.

"Let me help you down," he spoke out loud.

He put his hands on my waist and helped me down, and I now stood on the bathroom floor. He looked me up and down, "Do you want a sweater to borrow?"

"Please."

He turned, and I followed him through his house. I looked around, and I realized that there was nothing girly. Which only made me more curious as to who the flowers he buys are for.

My eyes widened slightly as we enter his bedroom. It was dark. Black curtains, a black bedroom set, and he didn't use the light switch. Instead, he put a lamp on, clearly not liking bright lights.