Chapter 5: The Rebels' Base

Tristan Harlow:

"Fuck you," I say after the same rebel that saved me from Rex pushes me into a small, black room. The rusty metal door closing and locking behind me, I look around for a bit.

"This is an empty room. There is nothing in this whole place!"

I see only four stone walls and a small ass chair under a hanging light. Shaking my head, I turn around and start banging my fists against the door.

"Hey," I scream, "Hey! What the hell am I doing here! Why am I even here! Let me out! Let me out now!"

Switching from banging with my fists to kicking, I stomp my whole foot against the door.

"Let me out," I yell over and over. "Let me out of here now!"

Stomping on it for what feels like the hundredth time, it opens suddenly, and before I can do anything, someone hits me with something. Screaming and falling back, I look up to see a tall man with dirty yellow hair and a yellow and red jacket. Beside him are two other rebels, all three of them armed with an assault rifle.

"Hello, Tristan," the guy with yellow hair starts. "We need to talk with you about something."

"Me first," I say, getting up and wiping the bit of sweat from my eyes. "How about you tell me where I am, why I'm here, and where the fuck Rebecca is?"

"Don't worry about Rebecca," the guy answers, "She's fine. My men found her before they find you, and quickly took her to our infirmary. She's alive. As for your other questions, my name is Martin, and I am the leader of the Rebel."

"The leader of the Rebels," I repeat to myself, thinking back to everything I heard about the Rebels and their "fearless" leader.

"You know," I say, grabbing at my own shirt collar. "For someone who's in hiding, you sure have a lousy sense of fashion. I can see that damn blazer of yours for miles, and so can any soldiers in the base. Miracle how they haven't already found and killed you yet."

"Yeah, well, the soldiers can look all they want because, in a few days, we'll all be gone from this base."

"Base," I repeat, Martin nods and steps aside. The lights piercing through the doorway blinding me at first, my eyes quickly adjust, and I can see a bunch of people; men, women, children, and even a few dogs, all running around.

"Come with me," Martin orders, his guards grabbing and pushing me to my feet. The four of us all walk together, I look past the guards to the people.

"This is the Rebels' base," I say to myself. "Son of a bitch."

Instead of some sort of heavily militarized headquarters, it's all nothing more than a bunch of tents put together with sticks and scrap of clothes. Inside the tents are mostly just pistols and pipes tied to the tent's wall. Most of the rebels running around don't even have armor. Just regular clothing. No better than what I have on my back right now.

"Your stuff is crap," I say, eyeing a little kid as he hands over a shovel to a taller man with a stain-covered hoodie. "I expected the Rebels to have better gears. You know, considering your whole 'Get rid of the damn chimeras things and take back Earth' thing. You're going to need more than peashooters to take down their spaceship."

"Oh, believe me. We have more. We just have it packed away at the current moment."

Looking back at the kid and the taller man, I see the man put the shovel into a crate, the kid now handing him a baseball bat and the man doing the same. Now that Martin mentioned it, there are a bunch of crates in the Rebels' base, the crates reminding all too much of Rex and Rebecca.