Yule Ball

Long black cloak billowing behind him, Snape stalked through the rose garden with Karkaroff hot on his heels, keeping an eye out for any teenage couples engaged in amorous activities hidden amongst the rose bushes. Tonight, a fire raged in his chest every time he caught his students in compromising positions. A fire that was not helped by the Durmstrang headmaster dogging his steps and whispering concerns best left unsaid while he went about his patrolling duties.

"Even before the attack at the World Cup, there were rumors about him not being gone, Severus," his unwanted companion for the night breathed out anxiously. "Surely, being at Hogwarts, you would have heard them?"

Snape blasted another rose bush apart and snarled out detentions at the squealing pair of Gryffindors. The sounds sent a jolt of satisfaction running through him, knowing that he had ruined their moment. It was short-lived though. As soon as the students were out of sight, he returned to an impassive state, curtly answering his companion, "Of course, I have heard the rumors, Igor."

"And you are not worried? Do you know something I do not?"

"Don't be a fool! I know as much as you do," he snapped. "There is - "

Stopping short as his peripheral vision alerted him to the presence of a lone female, he turned to see who it was. The periwinkle dress gave away the girl's identity and he scowled. Karkaroff did too, although, he was sure it was for completely different reasons.

With the Durmstrang champion's clear affections towards her and the sudden beauty achieved by a simple taming of her hair and a change of clothing, the buzz created had given him a headache. She was the talk of the night. Even his Slytherins hadn't managed to say anything bad about her. Instead, there were attempted attacks, borne out of jealousy. Attempted being the operative word. Because, as the only person with enough foresight to anticipate such tactics, he had deflected all of the spells and given each of the perpetrators two weeks of detention for their efforts in smearing the school's reputation. Even worse, all of the attackers were Slytherin girls. Hence, his headache. He had only allowed his attentions to turn elsewhere when he was sure that his snakes were intimidated enough to fall in line with his expectations. No matter how much his House obeyed him though, the girl should not be wandering around alone. He narrowed his eyes at her petite shoulders rising and falling with her heavy breathing as she paced back and forth angrily, muttering to herself. Striding towards her, with Karkaroff still matching his steps, he drawled, "What would a young lady, such as yourself, be doing - alone - outside on a night like this?"

She whirled around with a gasp, then relaxed slightly and sighed, "Just getting some air, Professor."

Bollocks, he thought as he noted the glistening, unshed tears in her eyes. Why did he have to be the one catching her on the verge of a crying session?! This is the second time in less than four months! Scowling, he demanded, "Where is your partner?"

"Getting drinks," she said. Glancing at the castle's front entrance, she bit her lower lip and exhaled. "I should go find Viktor. He's probably worried by now."

"Don't flatter yourself," Karkaroff scoffed. "Why would he worry about you?"

She stiffened, but replied evenly, "Because he is a credit to your school and has been nothing but a gentleman."

"If he has been a gentleman, then why...?" Snape trailed off, narrowing his eyes in realization. At least her tears were not due to unwanted advances. Considering her choice of a much older and famous partner for the night, he thought it was a valid concern that all the professors should have had. Not that he would voice it aloud in front of Karkaroff. He should have known that wouldn't have been the only concern. And even as he inwardly smirked at her uncharacteristically Slytherin response, he sneered, "Weasley."

"He's being an infuriating, inconsiderate, moron of a git tonight," she confirmed with a grimace.

"As opposed to his everyday behavior," Snape said scathingly. "I see no difference."

Unexpectedly, much to his and Karkaroff's horror, she burst into giggles. Thankfully, it stopped when she saw his darkening face. Still fighting a smile though, she said, "I'm sorry, Professor. I don't know what came over me. I suppose I really needed that, so thank you."

"Well, get back inside if you're done moping around!" he snapped.

"Yes, sir," she replied with a radiant smile, steps so light with contentment that she seemed to float towards the front entrance.

Once she was out of sight, Snape resumed his patrols, alternating between responding to Karkaroff's concerns with forced politeness and snarling point deductions at students as he blasted rose bushes apart. A few minutes later, he caught sight of Potter and Weasley, just as he finished smoking out a Hufflepuff-Ravenclaw pair. He narrowed his eyes at them and demanded to know what they were doing.

"We're walking," Weasley told him shortly. "Not against the law, is it?" (GoF 371)

"Keep walking, then," he snarled, brushing past the two boys while Karkaroff hurried after him. (GoF 371)

He continued his patrols, silently fuming. Frivolous couples everywhere, a talkative attachment to his side intent on spilling their worries to him for the night like he was some kind of Muggle psychologist, and insolent little toerags who wouldn't know how to treat a girl right if their lives depended on it. Not that Weasley even knew how to treat a friend right, judging by the boy's behavior leading up to the first task. Granger was right. Barring how the boy had treated Potter this year, Weasley was acting worse than usual tonight. And yet, Potter had welcomed the redhead back with open arms. As would Granger, once the worst of the behavior had passed. The pair's easy acceptance of their friend's transgressions only incensed him further. A Slytherin would never have welcomed a fair-weather friend like that. Stay acquaintances, yes. But never trusted again. Why couldn't Lily have forgiven him as easily though?