Chapter 2: Training for Shouto

A/N: I'm sorry this took so long, but I've just gotten COVID-19, and am now in self-isolation. It's taken quite a bit out of my creativity, so this chapter might be a little drier. That said, I still hope this chapter serves as a good introduction to Shouto, and the impact of Endeavor not being abusive would have on his life. This is of course OOC, but there are quite a few different impressions of him without the trauma and the abuse. How I write him is entirely my interpretation of him. 

One day after the sludge incident.

Shouto:

"Dad, what happened yesterday? The news report was hazy and not a lot of information was there." Fuyumi asked at breakfast. I slurped my soba contentedly but looked up in interest. The sludge villain attack was considered a mystery to most so far. Having a father who was privy to confidential information came in handy when it came to satisfying my curiosity. 

"Ah. Well, Touya would know more than me about this incident. Shinjiro's sister was the mystery civilian who stepped in." Dad answered. 

"Shinjiro's sister?" I asked. Shinjiro, the number 20 hero, The Shield Hero, Interface was one of Touya's best friends. Shinjiro became quite close to all of us, and he mentioned his sister often. She was a few months younger than me and Shinjiro always compared the both of us.

"Mm. She's quite the prodigy like you, Shouto. She's taking the recommendation exams as well, so you might see her there." 

Dad calling someone else a prodigy? Wow, she has to be very skilled, I thought. Dad only called me a prodigy, not even Touya, who was already the number 19 hero at his age, or Shinjiro or Tensei, who had accomplished similar feats. 

Touya came down languidly. "What's the topic?" he asked.

"The sludge incident yesterday and Shinjiro's sister," butted in Natsuo. "Also, get this: Dad called her a prodigy."

Fuyumi, Natsuo and I watched his expression carefully for any changes, but Touya didn't seem surprised. "Yeah, she's an amazing aspiring hero. She and Shouto have a lot in common when you look at her abilities as a hero."

"Whoa," Natsuo leaned back in his chair. His soba was there for the taking. I swiftly snuck half onto my plate and continued enjoying the bliss of soba. I jumped back into the conversation before anyone noticed. 

"So, what exactly happened yesterday?" I questioned. Touya grunted slightly. "Oh, Shinjiro kept me up half the night talking about what his sister's memories were like since he couldn't share her memories with me. "

A glass was dropped. Natsuo looked at Touya incredulously. Fuyumi blinked three times. Dad choked on his coffee. I let some soba drop into the sauce. 

"He took his sister's memories?" Natsuo blurted. 

Touya shook his head. "Nah, his sister made a copy of her memories and gave them to Shinjiro. So, here's what happened."

After Touya's lengthy explanation, I had finished my soba, Fuyumi had gotten through three-quarters of hers, and Natsuo had a second helping. Mum was chewing on her batch of soba. "So that's what happened. Her quirk is incredibly versatile," Fuyumi commented. 

"Have you fought her before? It's not easy, fighting her or Shinjiro. Their quirk has so many aspects, it's a headache trying to keep track of everything they can do!" Touya grumbled. I nodded. Though I hadn't met Kamei Naomi yet, Shinjiro said her quirk was as complicated as his. Should we encounter each other, I would be interested to see what she could do.

"Shouto, you seem curious about Naomi-san. What do you think? You'll probably see her at UA at some point." Fuyumi coaxed. 

My family's eyes swivelled to me, and I griped inwardly but condescended to reply. "Hmm. I'd say that she will be a good person and hero. Her quirk, if it's anything like Shijiro's, will be useful both in a powerhouse role or a support role."