Tryouts and Neighbors

"So he asked you to the party?" I asked slamming the door of my car shut behind me. Allison stood before me, her hands folded over the textbooks held firmly against her chest, a large goofy smile was spread across her face. I arrived at school a few moments ago and Allison had practically jumped on top of my car trying to get my attention. After which she quickly explained that last night she hit a dog with her car and took it to the vet, where Scott works, and he asked her out.

"Yes!" She squeaked bouncing on the balls of her feet giddily, her dark curls springing up and down along with her. Allison radiated waves of excitement and glee, I'm sure that all the other people in the car park could feel her happiness.

"The party, that's the same day as 'family night'?" I said with a smirk, recalling what Lydia had told me about the brunette girls bullshit excuse. Allison's smile dropped, her lips forming a small 'o' her cheeks and ears turning red.

"It's alright." I spoke moving past her, making my way for the back of my car. I placed my hand under the metal of the hood, grabbing the handle, and pulling up. An audible Click was heard as the hood moved up the rest of the way on its own. "I understand, Lydia's eagerness and rank in social status can be intimidating at first, but you'll get used to it." I told her pulling my gym bag out of the trunk and closing the hood. Allison nodded in agreement adjusting her books so that they now rested against her lower stomach.

"What's that for?" She asked with a glance down at my bag.

"Well Alli dearest, I shall be trying out for the lacrosse team." I said happily.

"The boys lacrosse team?" She quipped emphasizing the word boys.

"I know very well that it is a boys team, which is all the more reason to do it. Girls everywhere fall prey to societies stereotypes, that we are weak. It's girls like you and I that can and will prove them wrong."

"Amen!" Allison cheered with a giggle, she looped her arm through mine and pulled me to the school doors.

《》×《》×《》

"Okay, everyone off the field except for Danny, Rodriguez, Parker, Benson, Jenner, Delaney, Carson, and Andrews." Coach shouted loudly over the exuberant cheering of the crowd. All players fled the field leaving behind the eight tall fit looking boys, waiting for their orders from Finstock. The man made some hand gesture to them and they nodded, each of them going to their own spot on the turf.

"Okay newbie, you wanna be on the team?" Finstock asked dragging me to the yard line marked thirty and stood me right in the middle. "Make the ball go into that goal," He said pointing to the goal Danny was guarding three fourths of the way down the field. "Without getting knocked on your ass." He finished his instructions and slapped his hand against my helmet.

I took a deep breath wringing my gloved hands around the shaft of my crosse. You can do this Jack, it's just like any other game you've played. I thought to myself, trying to get motivated. At the harsh toot of coaches whistle I burst into a sprint my cleats digging into the fake grass kicking up small pebbles and shreds of the green plastic.

I scooped up the ball that sat in the grass while two of the boys made their way toward me, a brutal air to their speed, but I know that I'm quicker than them, lighter on my feet, I can take it.

Right when Delaney jumped at me I ducked down and tumbled beneath him as neatly as I could with a helmet on. Once my feet were stably on the ground again and Delaney was laying in a heap on the ground behind me, I ran and slammed my shoulder into Carsons side putting all force I had into it, sending him crashing down on his back.

I heard many sympathetic groans coming from the rest of the team who stood along the sidelines watching on with wide eyes and cringe faces. Allison and Lydia were screaming and cheering me on right at the front of the stands along with everyone else.