Chapter 4

Marinette's POV
I blinked my eyes open and as soon as I did I saw white and bright lights. I immediately shut my eyes again.
Once I was ready, I opened my eyes again and looked around my surroundings.
White curtain, gaint glass window, IV machine.
It suddenly clicked. I was in the hospital. But why?
Out the corner of my eyes, I spotted movement.
Chat Noir was sitting on a chair with his head down.
"Chat Noir?" I asked as I pulled the oxygen mask down.
His head snapped up and relief washed over his face.
"Marinette!" He breathed as he suddenly embraced me.
I was surprised at the sudden gesture but I hugged him back anyway.
He pulled away. "I'm so happy that you are finally awake. Let me go get your parents."
The doctor and my parents soon came in along with Chat Noir.
The doctor asked several questions and I answered all of them.
But I had a question of my own. "What happened?"
"Well, you were in a coma." Mom responded.
My heart skipped a beat.
What? "How long?" I asked.
"Seven days." Dad said.
I blinked and panicked.
If I was in a coma then who was saving Paris?
My fingers automatically went to my earlobe but I didn't feel my earrings.
Did someone steal them?
I quickly took my phone off of a nearby desk to check my messages.
There was a message from Alya saying that she took my miraculous just in case and there was surprisingly no akuma attack.
I felt relieved. But my question wasn't fully answered.
"Okay," I said slowly "but I want to know the reason why I'm here."
Silence filled the room.
I for some reason couldn't remember what actually brought me here.
"After the akuma attack last Friday, I was pulled aside by Shadowmoth. He pulled out a gun and threatened to shoot me if I didn't give up my miraculous. He was about to pull the trigger on me but then you jumped in." Chat explained.
There was a heavy silence again.
I opened my mouth in shock.
I didn't know what to say.

Everything suddenly started to make sense and I clearly remembered.
The doctor cleared his throat. "Well it seems like you are healing. You will be able to go home today but make sure to rest." And with that, he left.

Mom gave me a cheerful smile. "I'm glad that you can finally come home, sweetie."

I nodded though I felt entirely numb. My whole body hurt and the pain in my chest, where the bullet had once been, didn't go away. "Mom, can you give me a pain killer please?" I asked.

She shook her head "You need to eat something first." I realized that she was right and I was hungry. My stomach growled.
"I'll go get something for her." Chat spoke up. "What can I get you, princess?"
The nickname made me flinch. Why did he call me that infront of my parents?
But my parents didn't seem to mind and instead were chuckling.
"I want grilled chicken." I answered.
Chat gave me a soft smile and left.
My dad ruffled my hair and said that he and Mom will be outside.
A few minutes later, Chat Noir showed up with a tray of food.
"Here you go princess." He handed me the tray.
"Thanks kitty." I said.
He was about to leave when I stopped him. "Wait. Don't go, I want you to stay."
He was hesitant before he sat on a chair next to my bed.
I poked my fork into the chicken and took a bite.
The taste was pleasurable in my mouth.
"You didn't have to do that you know. Jump in and save me like that. It was very brave of you. Thank you." Chat Noir said as he fiddled with his fingers.
I set my fork down. "No problem, kitty."
There was an awkward silence.
"Hey, Marinette?" Chat suddenly asked.
"Hmm?" I said around a spoonful of chicken.
"Did you confess to Buttercup yet?"
The question was so sudden, I almost choked.
"No. Not yet. It wasn't important anyway." I admitted.
"Why? Your declaration was very special." Chat questioned.
"It's just that I'm scared."
"Scared?"
"I'm scared he might reject me." I let out a sarcastic laugh. "I mean how do you expect me to declare my love to him when I blabber my mouth off? I can't even say a full sentence without stuttering. I'm so clumsy he probably thinks I'm so weird. I don't know how you can cope when Ladybug always rejects you. Doesn't it... Hurt?"
Chat Noir was silent for a while and I thought he wasn't going to respond when he suddenly said "All the time. It stabs me again and again. Knowing the girl I'm in love with loves someone else. But no matter how hard I try, I know it won't work. Yet it's still so hard to move on..."
"Maybe you should move on." I stated hoping that he understood. "You can't force your feelings onto someone. It makes them feel bad." It makes me feel bad.
Chat cleared his throat. " I can't she's just so incredible. Maybe she'll change her mind."
I bit my lip.
Maybe not
"Anyways I think you should confess already. I'm sure he'll like you back." Chat changed the subject.
"What makes you think that?" I snorted.
"Well, you are very talented. You put others first before you. And beautiful. Just like a princess." Chat listed.
My cheeks flushed.
"Really smooth, Chat." I rolled my eyes laughing.
He grinned.
His ring started to beep and he stood up.
"Well, princess looks like you knight in shiny leather has to leave." He took my hand and kissed it. "Farewell."