Part 4

It was late in the afternoon when Alexi once again made her way down to the small garden in the grounds where she sat on the swing. She wasn't sure how long she had been there when Steve appeared at the garden entrance.

"Hey," he said. She nodded and smiled at him. "Mind if I sit?" he gestured to the seat next to her.

"Sure." She moved over to make room.

"Good spot to watch a sunset," he said looking at the colours spreading across the sky.

"Yeah. I like this swing. Reminds me of the one my grandpa had. You would always find him sitting on it looking out over the street." She paused to watch the sunset for a moment. "Do you remember your grandparents, Steve?"

"Yeah I do. Unfortunately, they and my parents died before the war."

"You know, you're famous in Hydra." Steve looked at her surprised by the change in conversation. "Sorry, I just assume you came to ask about my time with Hydra."

"How did you..." he started but she stopped him.

"...I was a spy for a lot of years, Captain Rogers, I know when I'm about to be interrogated." She smiled knowingly at him.

"I had to make sure," he explained.

"That I'm not here undercover, to infiltrate you. It's a fair question, I understand. I'm not." She paused searching for the words of how to explain her past. He could see her thinking and waited quietly until she continued. "When I was finally free of Dreykov, all those years ago, the first one to find me was a woman who told me I would be working for an organization that balanced peace and fought men like Dreykov. Everything they showed me after that fell in line with that story. It took me a long, long time to finally see the truth. By the time I discovered what was really going on, I was trapped. They brainwashed me. It had happened all over again. I was right back where I started. But I am never going back. And I'm not here to hurt anyone. I just want to be free."

After a short pause, contemplating what she told him, he looked in her eyes and said, "I believe you."

"Thank you." They both silently watched the sunset. Finally taking in a deep breath, she said "So, bringing a date to the party, Cap?" Her tone had changed completely, trying to lighten the seriousness of the mood. All her training to hide her emotions left her unable to be vulnerable for very long.

Steve laughed and shook his head. "No."

"Why not?" she exclaimed. "I'm sure there's women out there just dying to be taken out by Captain America, himself."

"Not a lot of time for that around here," he said.

"If I'm starting to learn one thing about living a real life, it's that you have to take advantage of every moment. Watch every sunset, you know?"

"I guess I forget that sometimes. Are you bringing a date?

Alexi laughed. "I got here about 4 days ago and haven't been allowed to leave so you guys are the only people I know."

"Well, if you want, we can go together....as friends," he added quickly.

"Hmm...what would that entail exactly?"

"We can go together. We'll hang out. You'll have someone to talk to. We can dance if you feel like dancing," said Steve.

"As friends?" she clarified.

"Of course."

"That sounds all right. But don't think you'll be getting a goodnight kiss, Captain."

Putting his hands up in surrender, Steve said, "I wouldn't dream of it."