39: Festival Stand By

While we were preparing to open Mostro Lounge, I told the Leech twins and Azul the surprising energy I noticed from students after returning from winter vacation.

"In two months, there will be a large festival. Various magic schools, institutions, and celebrities will come to our campus," Azul answered, "It's quite the spectacle."

Jade added, "It's also a great opportunity to increase profits."

The Magical School Joint Cultural Festival is an event which spanned for two days and is hosted by a different school each year. This time, it was Night Raven College's turn. The purpose of the festival was to showcase students' work in the fine arts and in magical research. The festival would also serve as the time for fourth year students of Night Raven College, who are dispatched to various institutions all over the world, to present what they learned in the field.

The highlight of the festival would be the Vocal and Dance Championship, or VDC. The tournament allowed aspiring singers and dancers to be scouted by entertainment agencies and debut as professionals.

This year, VDC would receive an immense amount of attention from media outlets because of its two key competitors: Vil Schoenheit and Neige LeBlanche.

Vil was known throughout the school not only as the Dorm Leader of Pomefiore, but also an international celebrity. With millions of followers on his MagiCam, anything was possible for Vil, whether it be receiving invitations to Fashion Week, lead roles in blockbuster films, or modeling gigs from top magazines.

I had seen Neige in several commercials and movies. His cheerful personality, kind demeanor and soft complexion made him loved by many, as a celebrity and as a person.

"Neige will be representing Royal Sword Academy at the festival," Azul added, "His competition with Vil will definitely be a show worth watching."

I swallowed, "So, that means...Royal Sword Academy...will be coming to Night Raven College?"

If they came, so would my brother. 

The last time he threw a hissy fit was because I beat him at a duel and he ended up overblotting. I didn't want to imagine what we would do at the festival if he saw my face.

The glass bottle of sparkling water nearly slipped out of my hands.

"You alright, angelfish?" Floyd worried, "It's not like you to have butter fingers."

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine."

--------------

At lunch, Deuce, Ace, and I noticed several students gathered in front of a poster in the cafeteria a few days later.

Once the path was clear, I read out loud the information, "Vocal and Dance Championship invites students to audition to represent Night Raven College. In case the representative team wins, the prize money of 5 million Madol will be divided among the participating members."

"5 million Madol..." Deuce quietly repeated, "It could do my family some good if I won that prize."

"With Cassie on our team, we're as good as gold," Ace draped his arm around me, "Her singing is going to blow everyone away."

I removed Ace's arm from my shoulder, "Actually...I don't think I'm going to audition."

"Why not? Do you have stage fright?" Deuce asked.

"I already don't do well in large crowds to begin with, so I don't know about performing," my fingers held on to my crystal, "I also don't know how people will react with seeing a girl at an all boys school...and my brother could be there," I tried to remain optimistic, "The two of you have my full support, though. I'll cheer you on from the audience."

The two boys nodded in understanding and decided to audition together.

We carried on with our classes and reassembled during our afternoon break. Instead of going to our usual spot in the school courtyard, we headed for room 3-A.

"According to the poster, we need to find Rook Hunt," Deuce said as we stepped into the classroom filled with upperclassmen.

"This is intimidating," Ace scanned the perimeter, "Maybe we could find someone from Heartslabyul to introduce us to Rook."

I interjected, "Guys, I have an even better idea." The two expected me to have some grand plan in mind, but instead watched me as I approached the Vice-Dorm Leader of Pomefiore. "Hi, Rook."

"Reine de Sorciere!" he stood up from his seat, "What a delight to see you!"

"It's nice to see you as well. I hope I'm not interrupting you."

"Nonsense. How may I be of service to you?"

I motioned towards Deuce and Ace, "My friends were interested in auditioning for VDC."

"C'est vrai?! That's wonderful!" he tipped his hat in greeting to the two Heartslabyul students, "I welcome all competitors from the bottom of my heart."

Deuce wondered, "Cassie, how do you know him?"

"You're not exactly the most social," Ace muttered.

Rook first approached me in my first week of school and asked about my skincare and haircare routine. I thought it would be the first and last time I would see of him, but I was incorrect. Our paths crossed again when I went to sketch the scenery of Pomefiore. Rook gave me a grand tour of the dormitory and its poisonous flower garden. On the tour, he introduced me to Vil and some of the other Pomefiore members.

Occasionally, he and I would practice archery together.

Ace began to introduce himself and Deuce, "We are-"

"You two are from Heartslabyul. Ace Trappola from Class 1-A, seat number 25 and measuring 172cm," Rook turned to Deuce, "From the same class, seat number 24 and measuring 173cm, Deuce Spade."

"How do you know our class and student number?!" Deuce exclaimed.

Ace looked to me, "Aren't you concerned how he knows our heights?!"

Rook chuckled, "As a hunter, it's simple information to obtain. Or else I would be in the trouble when the time comes, no?"

I reminded him, "Rook? The audition?"

"Of course, my apologies," he readjusted his hat, "As long as you declare your intent, there's no need for you to fill out any paperwork. At the end of the week, we will be hosting auditions in the Pomefiore ballroom after school. Don't forget it."