I: The Fool

"If you love your job, you won't have to work a day of your life."

That's how the saying goes, and it is absolutely bullshit.

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a game designer. Video games had captured my attention initially as just fun ways to spend my time, be it alone or with friends, but my view of what video games are and could be evolved little by little as I played more and more games as I grew up.

From Undertale, to the early Fallout games, to even some more "mainstream" but innovative games such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, playing these games made me realize just how much potential the medium had as an art form and industry, and just how much I loved it and wanted to work in it as well.

Skip forward to today and I've achieved my dream. I'm a level designer on a games studio, doing what I love. But as good as this may be, of course not everything is sunshine and rainbows...

"Y/N!"

I am rudely snapped out of my train of thought by hearing a familiar rough voice calling my name. Looking up I see my boss standing just outside of his office motioning for me to join him inside the room.

I get up from my chair and quickly stretch before making my way to where the bearded man who called me was waiting, my back had been killing me recently after spending so much time working at my desk.

Joining my boss in his office we both sit down before he gives me a small smile and starting the conversation.

"How are you doing Y/N?"

"I'm doing good James, I'm getting pretty close to finishing up that underground level you asked for. I'm actually pretty excited to send it out to the testers if I'm being honest."

"Well yeah, about that..."

Oh. Well this can't be good.

"I've had some talks with the higher ups recently and it looks like we're going to be seeing some big changes regarding some of the core gameplay aspects of the game..."

I don't say anything. I just look at him blankly, both of us knowing what he's going to say next, and both of us just as equally dreading it.

"Sigh... Look I'll just give it to you straight Y/N. They're telling us to remove all dialogue focused solutions to main quests to make the game more mainstream appealing."

"Of fucking course!"

I loose my cool as I get up from my seat and start pacing around the office.

"You're the fucking director James! Is there not anything you can do about it?"

"Y/N both of us know that if there was something I could do about it I would... Look, tomorrow an email is going to go out to the rest of the development team and I just wanted to let you know in advance."

I calm down a bit but before I get a chance to say anything I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. Taking it out and turning it on I see a reminder on the screen saying "Pick up Alice."

"Hey James I gotta go. Gotta pick up my niece at her dance practice" I tell him while putting the phone back in my pocket.

"That's okay man, and sorry that I couldn't do anything about the changes. You know how much I love what you were doing to the missions."

"Nah it's okay it's not your fault. Sorry for blowing up at you by the way."

"You're good. See you tomorrow." He says waving at me as I step out of his office.

"See ya'."

I pass by my desk to put my laptop into my bag before making my way out of the building. On my way out I pass by the secretary Minju, sitting behind her desk and in front of the huge circular logo of the company on the wall.