Is This The End?

MALLIKA

MALLIKA

"Mallika" My mother says by the way of greeting.

"Yes mother." I simply mutter under my breath as she sits on the chair by the fire.

"Sit" She gestures me to sit beside the chair occupied by her. I just nod my head timidly and sit on the chair.

"Where did you go that you have come so late ?" She aks in her authorative voice.

"I went to library to read books." The lie slips from my mouth easily and I sigh. This is the third time I am lying to her but I don't regret at all.

"Hmmm." She hums at my reply and doesn't say anything for the next few minutes. I take a quick glance of her to find her picking out a box. Seeing the box, it's clear that it's probably a jewellery box.

"Look at this pendant." She shows me the platinum pendant which was kept in the box. I look at the beautiful pendant and then look at her with confusion.

"I have selected it for you." She says and smiles a little which makes me more startled at her behaviour. She is behaving unnaturally sweet. It's not that she has never given me any jewellery before. Infact she always buys many kind of jewelleries at every year and makes me and Ashi to buy also. She says that it's a tradition of our royal family. But she has never given it by herself. She calls for the jewellery shopkeeper and they come at our mansion. We have to buy for ourselves otherwise she doesn't really give me something as present.

"Have you liked it?" She asks me gently caressing my cheek. I just nod positively not bothering to show some reaction on the sudden change of her behaviour.

"Ok, so wear it on the engagement party." She says folding her hands on her lap, her eyes are fixed on me. I snap my head at her with wide eyes.

"Yes, you have heard it right. Ashi's marriage has been fixed with Sumedh. Sumedh's parents have agreed with this marriage. His father has promised us that his son will marry our daughter only." She says with a proud smile. My heart pounds rapidly and I feel my hands shaking after hearing the news. A wave of disappointment fills my body as I bow my head down just nodding my head timidly.

"Are you happy for them, Mallika?" She asks me. On that moment, I want to scream out loudly that I am not happy for them as I love Sumedh. I want to but somehow my voice betrays me and I can't form words to say anything. All I can do is just to nod my head in approval at that moment. I knew that it would eventually come oneday and we have to face it.

"Good girl. From now, I want you to keep a safe distance with the prince. I have seen you jumping on him on the banquet." She sneers at me.

"I don't want that to reapeat." She says sternly and I just nod in assurance.

"Fine." She says and gets up walking into the washroom. I don't know what to do at this point. Hopefully, Sumedh might refuse this proposal. After all, it's Sumedh's wedding and he will take the main decision. This is what I can only think about the time.