Chapter 4: Elastic heart

''So, you waited for him in his office, and he wasn't even there?''

''no, he just wrote a bunch of orders for me that will keep me busy until Friday''

After the text I got from my boss, I went to his office, and he wasn't there. There was a note waiting for me with tasks that he wanted me to do. The plus about this job is that I can work at the coffee shop and the office and make decent money from both. I work at the office from Tuesday until Friday, but my boss can ask me to do stuff for him on Saturdays and Sundays. And on the rest of the week, I work doubles at the coffee shop. YEP! that's my life.

It's been two days since Steve talked to me and ask me on a date. Well, I think it's a date. I didn't see my boss too much he was in meetings all day these past two days and he contacted me via mail.

''he wants to celebrate his girlfriend's birthday at 'UNO'  The fanciest Italian restaurant, ''and they don't have a reservation for this Friday. I know he's punishing me. But, come on Satan REALLY.''

Since yesterday, I have been trying to get a reservation, and I know if I don't get one, he will murder me. ''I'll ask my friend to reserve you a table, she's a waitress there, I'm sure they got some spare table, but they are waiting for someone.'' I can kiss him right now. '' I can kiss you right now Raj. ''

He just laughed and made a face of disgust.

We are on our way to work; Raj is going to the coffee shop, and I am on my way of course to hell. Steve didn't contact me since the last time I saw him so after I bought coffee and food for me and big boss Satan, I didn't expect the surprise that waited for me at my office desk.

A single rose on top of a silver envelope, the handwriting is beautiful and curvy, and it has my name on it. Inside the envelope is a card with instructions for our date. The excitement started to build in my stomach and something sweet and arousing. Steve wrote to wait for him at 8:00 pm in the lobby of my apartment building. He's going to pick me up and take me to a restaurant. It says, 'wear something nice'. What does nice even mean? I am fishing for my phone in my purse to write to my best friend when a deep voice startled me and I almost spill coffee on my drees.

''yore late''

Shit, he is in a bad mood ''no am not. I was just dropping something at my desk.''

''what's that?''

He was standing at the doorpost when I was picking up his coffee, now he is standing way too close. I can smell his cologne. The smell of spices and sandalwood makes me dizzy, and I stop thinking for a minute. Blake picks up the card from my desk and starts reading it. ''you have a date?'' I snatch the card from his filthy hands and scowl. ''none of your business. Sir.''

Blake just stands there, eyes on the single rose. Suddenly he is started laughing, his laugh is deep, and you can see a single dimple on his cheek. I wasn't sure if he was laughing at me, but I felt a burn inside of me and felt shame and hurt. he WAS laughing at me. What an ass. I didn't want to show him any kind of emotions, so I just sat on my chair and started work for the day. He stopped laughing, looked at me, and murmur something like 'shit' his favorite word. '' Eliana. I- ''

I stopped him with a single hand and say without looking at him.'' I'm not doing this with you. Not today.'' I started typing. I wasn't typing anything I was just doing it so he would think that I don't give a single fuck about what he has to say ''I have a lot of work today as you know. And I have a date to prepare for at the end of the day. So, I would like to finish here by four and leave so I can go home to my cats and prepare myself for my date.'' He just stood there knowing that he did something wrong. His blue eyes watching me work. He sighs and was about to leave I stopped him when he was about to reach his office door and say '' your food and coffee sir.'' Blake came closer to my desk pick his food and his coffee and stood there for about two minutes. I know he wanted to say something, but he is an arrogant person and very proud, so he is not going to damage his ego by apologizing. So, I just kept my eyes on the computers to show him that I don't care. so, he just left my office, and I heard the slamming of a door. I didn't know I was holding my breath so when I was sure he was gone I release a large amount of air. I look at the card and pick the flower. I don't care what Blake thinks he can shove his humor very deep where the sun doesn't shine. I'm not going to listen to him or engage in some sort of fight with him because today I'm going to see Steve. Just thinking about it my mood increases and Blake and his blue eyes disappear from my memory and all I can think about it's my date with Steve.

I texted Raj about everything and after our short texts, I got into a crazy work pace. I made appointments, I canceled appointments. I made coffee and even took care of my boss's dry cleaning. Although I have not yet received an answer from Raj's friend if there's a table at 'UNO' for my boss. But I'm an optimistic person. So, when I was at lunch raj texted me that there was a table and that his friend had already booked a reservation in Blake's name. THANK GOD.

Blake came out of his office just for meetings that were held in the conference room. When he was returning from one of his meetings, I stopped him and informed him that his reservation for the restaurant today was at eight-thirty and the reservation is in his name. Blake didn't even spare me a look, but I don't have time to duel on it. So, when I saw that it was about four-thirty, I turned off the computer, put on my coat, and left the office. Blake stopped me at the entrance of my office. He looked at me in a way that showed a lot of emotion for a minute, took a deep breath, and said something that surprised me. I've been working for him for two years and I've never seen him like that. His eyes show me an emotion I have never seen in him. Like he is sorry.

''enjoy your date.'' And with that, he closed the door of his office. He did not give time for my response, so I just turned around and left.

On my way home I thought about what I was going to wear, I know Raj is already waiting for me in the living room with a glass of wine to calm my nerves and lots of optional outfits that I can wear to the date. I don't want to wear something that screams desperate. When I got home, he dragged me to the shower, after I took a shower, he did my make-up and straightened my hair. I have very long hair. It reaches up to my thigh and sometimes it's hard to fix it. I came home very late almost at six because there was an accident not far away from here and I took the bus. And it took almost an hour for Raj to make me look presentable, but not in the boring kind of way. I'm wearing a lilac Ruched Bust Bodycon Mini Dress with puffy long sleeves and White Strappy Heels. You can see my tattoos with this dress, and I like it. I have a half sleeve tattoo that I design. it's a naked mermaid that's sitting on a rock just like the little mermaid did, but this one is the adult version. You can see her back; half of her body is underwater and the exposed one is facing a ruined city. you can see all types of fish and starfish around her underwater. The tattoo is very colorful, and you can't miss it so I'm sure Steve will be able to see it under my puffy sleeve. I have a lot of tattoos, but this is a big one the rest of my tattoos are small or hidden. I'm not ashamed of them, but I've been on dates where the guys told me they can't date a woman with many tattoos, and I look like a thug. I don't care what people think about me, so I just thought they were assholes, but sometimes people especially men commented on my body size. I have curves, not big ones, but I'm not a small size. And I'm a tall girl. So, it's very difficult for me to find a decent boyfriend.

After I finished getting ready, I received a message from Steve that he was waiting for me outside my building. Only now did I notice that I never gave him my address. I'll have to ask him where he got it from. I said goodbye to Raj and left my apartment. Steve waited for me on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building. He was wearing a white button-down with black slacks and Italian shoes.

The most beautiful thing he was wearing was his smile. Steve is a handsome man.