The Beast Outside

The woods. It was a place of sheer terror for most and even still there are certain things that claw and scratch throughout the night that call it home. Of course things like that are of little concern for some, those born to luxury for instance. Listlessly the young woman stood at her window, looking out. Her fire red hair curled around her chubby round cheeks in short messy bundles, her deep blue eyes were as light as ice and with a hint of blue. After a moment, her hands pushed her long flowing skirt to the side, sliding herself on the sturdy wooden shelf that lined the window. She pressed her face to the glass, breath forming a haze on it. A tone sounded off in the still silent room and she looked down to her lap, the phone lighting up with a message.

Katiya, please meet me tomorrow at the hill just behind the church.

She stared at the words, wondering just what this was. Her eyes looked back to the window, out into the small town and just beyond that the pitch black woods. She nodded then slid off of the window, looking to her bed. Slowly and gracefully she moved into get a good nights sleep.

With the morning came her rising with the sun. She rose with it as always, a knock on her door. "Lady Katiya...?" She stays silent, her eyes roaming over the door. "My lady, are you there? You should get up before your mother does. You have duties today, you know you cannot be late for them." She gripped her phone as she stood up, opening a messenger app and staring at the same message from last night. "Oh that's it you entitled..." The voice muttered before the door opened, a man in dress slacks a button up and a vest stepped through the door. He ran his fingers through his black hair, the fit man glaring at her. "Katiya... Today is the day, you know? We don't have time for you to beat around the bush."

"I'm aware." She spoke forcefully. "You don't need to remind me. I'm not an idiot." The man grit his teeth, glaring at her and she shook her head. "I could do without the attitude, Jack."

"Funny- I was going to say the same thing to you, young mistress." He watched as she lifted her lip a little, sneering at him. "Ah yes. Such a beautiful face." His words dripped with sarcasm. "That is sure to serve your purpose. Are you certain this is what you want?"

She scoffed. "To get out of this place and move into a far bigger house? To be free of the things that vex me? To never want for anything? Yes." She stared at him with a scowl painted on her face, eyes burning with something close to hatred.

"And what about Antonio?"

"What about him?" There was not a beat between their words.

"So you stare love in the face and tell it that it has no money?" He straightened up his vest.

"Generous of you to call that love." She scrunched her nose up at him once more. "He's been following me around since I was a teenager. I didn't ask for it. I never lead him on."

"So that kiss I saw after the school dance, years ago?" Their eyes met and he saw the slightest widening of them. The surprise only caught her off guard for a moment. She composed herself but it was enough for him to nod slowly. "My mistake. Did you assume back then he had money?"

"Back then- they did." She spoke swiftly. "It is not my fault that his father is a drunk."

"But it is your fault that you have no heart..." He whispered while turning his back to her.

"What was that?" She snapped.

"I said that you need to be strong and take heart. If there is something you want, you go for it. Your mother never taught you any different." The butler moved away and she sighed, starting to get dressed. A short skirt attached to a sweetheart neckline, it showed off her features the best. She put on her makeup and heels then slipped a headband into her hair. Looking at herself in the mirror she was surprised to find that even a little extra weight on her was pleasing. She carried it in what would be considered the 'right' places and a well placed garment took care of a waistline that she fashioned.