Maiden Voyage

He took a step out of the small shack he called a house. It was a shabby little thing, didn't even have a door. He glanced back with his soft blue eyes, sweeping his hair to the side, groaning at the shabby nature of it. It was a meager life, but he was at least content, for the most part, if not feeling a little empty. He hoisted his rod onto his shoulder, adjusted his pack then struck out on his own.

He walked on the road itself, his worn shoe giving no protection in one spot on the sole. He figured it might be the death of him, but in the rural area he lived, so close to the river and making his living selling his catch, he felt no one would really care if it had happened. He had to stop and ponder if he cared at all either. In the quiet of the night, reading worn hand me down books by candlelight he made himself out of animal fat.

He veered off of the road and into the grass as he heard the engine of a car behind him. He glanced to the auto passing with a tip of his head, not that the driver saw him. His head hung for a moment, then he squared his shoulders and carried on. The day was a fine one past these lingering feeling for the young man. His trip yielded quite a few fish and he spend the rest of the day selling them at a farmers market in the small town. He watched as children walked past his stall on their phones, looking bored with life and he could relate on some level. As he was staring, a beautiful young woman moved into his line of sight. She was tall and slender, with curves that were accentuated by a very sheer sundress, her black bra showing through the top, the skirt was a solid pattern of flowers. Her hair was long, golden locks that fell down to her butt, adorned with flowers. Her light brown eyes looked into his, her smile bright. "So... you sell fish? Fresh fish?"

"I caught them this mornin'" She giggled a little as he spoke. "W... What?"

"Your accent is cute. So you went out and caught fish before coming here? Do you often sell a lot of them?" She leaned over the fish that were displayed, making a face at them. He laughed a little himself but shook his head. "No? That's a shame. I can see the passion you have just by looking at you, then them." She looked back up to him. "Are you... happy?"

"Well... I make enough money to get by. Well fed, if it's only fish. I don't wanna complain. I like what I do but-"

"But?"

"Well I don't really wanna dump my troubles on a stranger."

"Please." She smiled softly, crossing her arms just under her breasts making him feel like she was putting them on display for him. "I'm all ears, sir...?"

"Lowel." He spoke, forcing his eyes on her face. Her actions only brought the nagging situation into the forefront of his mind. "I get awful lonely." She tilted her head, swept bangs hanging in her eyes. "It's okay though. Can't expect to attract much. Especially when I can't provide."

She waved him off. "You provide three meals a day and a warm home. That is all one needs to provide. I'm sure you will attract someone soon." He raised a brow, the woman was peculiar and it made him question a few things. "I'm Venus."

"Well, that's a unique name." She nodded a little when he commented. "You have optimism. Small town. If I was gonna attract one, woulda happened already. You're rather new, which only happens once in a blue moon. What brings ya all the way out here? Can't be on vacation or anything..."

She chuckled. "No, I'm not. Just passing through with my husband." She tapped her finger on the stand by one of the bigger fish. "But that doesn't mean I can't take an interest in others. Lowel... I think your luck is going to change. You're here daily, right?" She watched him nod slowly. "Good. Don't go fishing in the morning. Clean up. Dress as nice as you can." He felt like he was under a spell, looking at her all he could do was nod. She gave him a smile and walked away with a gentle wave.