CHAPTER 9

Jimin didn't come to work for a few weeks after that happened. Meanwhile, Hansol continued to work with Minjeong in the underground fights.

"Jimin hasn't called me. I'm worried." Hansol sat beside Minjeong.

"she must be tired from working. I'll make sure she's okay. Don't worry." Minjeong gave him a fake smile.

"I should work harder for her." Hansol rubbed his head. "I wanna be like you. You're undefeated and you're rich. You basically have everything you want."

"oh trust me, you don't want to be like me." Minjeong then stood up and gathered her things. "keep on practicing. I'll be going."

-

Minjeong waited under the tree. She knows her target will pass by this street.

"Oh Jiho." Minjeong called the familiar man.

The man looked around and saw Minjeong leaning on the tree.

"what are you doing here?" Jiho panicked. "I told you to stay away from my family. We have nothing to do with this."

"did you tell your daughter to resign?" Minjeong asked coldly.

"she needs to. I need to protect her." Jiho ran his hand through his hair.

"you lied to her. is that how you protect someone?"

"just. Please. I'll help you."

"working with the devil." Minjeong said more to herself. "you think she'll be happy if she knew her father killed someone as his side job?"

"I quit it. I have real work now. so, I beg you to stay away from Jimin."

"I recalled that you're not even her real father. You helped him get away with murders." Minjeong put her hand on the man's shoulder. "I want you to stay out of this if you won't tell me where he is. I'll find him myself."

Minjeong then left him.

-

Jiho walked in to his house. she saw a girl sitting on the couch. Not Jimin.

"hey, dad. she said she's your old friend so I invited her in." Jimin served the girl a drink.

"Vivian?" Jiho quickly sat in front of her. "Jimin, you can go to your room."

"did you still do it?" Vivian gets straight to the point.

"oh god. I don't." Jiho sighed. "why's that girl so eager? She died a long time ago and most of his people lost their life for something they didn't do."

"an eye for an eye." Vivian started. "she won't stop until she found him. You better tell her before she took another life."

"I can't, Ning. I don't know where he is."

"you can't hide forever. She knows that Dongwook loves Jimin so much. She'll hurt her." Vivian pushed him. "she probably already did."

"I'll give him a call." Jiho surrendered.

"good." Vivian then left.

Jimin on the other hand, listened to the whole conversation. She dropped down behind her door and cried the whole night.

-

the days passed by. Jimin tried to keep it all inside and just went with her days.

"Jimin!" Minjeong called.

Jimin stayed quiet and stood in front of Minjeong.

"sit down." Minjeong commanded. She decided to do a different approach at the girl. "why are you so quiet today?"

Jimin didn't answer. That made Minjeong a little irritated.

"are you deaf?" Minjeong banged the table.

"I'm okay."

"I want to apologize." Minjeong looked at the limp girl in front of her. hair tied in a bun with a few strands falling on the side of her face, forehead glistening with sweats, and swollen eyes. she's going through hard times in this company. Minjeong noticed all of that.

"okay." Jimin's head empty. She didn't know who to trust anymore. It feels like her life is a lie.

"I'll give you a raise. You've been doing a great job at this company." Minjeong added. Hoping for a bigger reaction.

"thank you." That's it. That's the only words that came from Jimin's mouth.

"fucking hell! Why are you so bitchy about this?!" Minjeong got emotional again.

Jimin lowered her head. she felt beads of tears falling on her cheek. Sobs were heard by Minjeong.

"unbelievable." Minjeong scoffed. "what are you crying for?!"

Jimin wiped her tears with her sleeve.

"I- I want to resign." Jimin's heart ached. She thought she needs some space.

"really? You dared to say that again after that night?" Minjeong leaned back at her chair. "fine."

Jimin looked up at her boss.

"in one condition." Minjeong smirked.

-

"I'll borrow her for the night." Minjeong said to Hansol.

"don't you have other girls?" Hansol looked around the room, unsure. "I'm sure you have."

"c'mon. I can't just go out with random girls in such an important party." Minjeong tried to convinced him. "you said that I can get girls easily. What would they say when they saw me alone at that party? Don't you wanna help your friend?"

"you have a point." Hansol wiped his forehead. "take care of her." Hansol gave her a smile.

"that's my boy! Thanks."

-

"what?" Jiho asked her daughter.

"I want to stop working at that company." Jimin lowered her head.

"no. no, you can't."

"can't what?" Jimin asked back.

"you can't go to the party." Jiho said sternly.

"she said it'll be okay." Jimin felt hopeless. "I will go then I'm done. I'm sick of everyone telling me what to do."