Untitled Part 1

"Ne ne, Keisuke?"

"Hmm..."

"Let's go find a place to watch the fireworks. They'll be starting soon."

"ok."

The duo walked to a hill that had been designated for people to sit and watch the fireworks on. They found a secluded spot near the top where Baji had laid a checkered picnic blanket. They sat in comfortable silence gazing at the stars decorated across the night sky that would soon be the backdrop for a spectacular show.

"Ne, Keisuke?"

"Hm."

"I'm really glad I got to come to the festival with you," Takemitchy said, his voice barely above a whisper and a content smile on his face. "I mean, I was really worried I wouldn't be able to and the doctors didn't think I'd be well enough, so I'm just happy I managed to get well enough to come before it became too late."

Baji frowned. The blond's joyful personality had taken a deep dive this past month. Earlier he'd had another attack and fallen into a small coma. The doctors were sure the young teen wouldn't pull out of it and they were shocked into a stupor when Takemitchy had indeed pulled out of the coma relatively quickly. But Takemitchy's condition had worsened and the blond was almost always stuck in the plain white walls of the hospital. Treatments weren't nearly as effective and Takemitchy was almost always exhausted or sick. Everyone knew what this meant, but no one wanted to say it out loud.

Takemitchy's time was approaching its end.

And there was nothing anyone could do to stop it.

But Baji wasn't going to sit by and let Takemitchy's light dim so quickly.

Baji wasn't good at comforting people or inspiring hope, but he was good at being quiet and it was this silence that spoke louder than any false encouragement from nurses.

It thundered louder than the crackling of lights as they soared quickly into the sky before exploding in a plethora of glittering colors. Takemitchy could only watch in awe as yellow, reds and blues suddenly glowed against the dark sky. Baji provided a silent anchor so he didn't get any ideas about joining those lights.

Takemitchy was grateful,

Undeniably and hopelessly grateful,

For everything.