Prologue

They said that Qenan Laurier and Abel Windsor were lovebirds. The pair easily had the most romance between them, the most affection. Qenan and Abel were always together, and Qenan was always pulling Abel in to some form of a kiss or another. Abel, even when he was sour or strangely venomous or confused, the way some new children tended to be, was always close with him, in part because of the way he been damaged by the "Christmas Incident".

They said that Abel Windsor and Beatrice Burr were best friends. When separate from Perce and Qenan Laurier, the pair were inseparable, always had their heads together, whispering, almost always clinging to the others hand. Some other rumors that were whispered in the circles by servants hinted at something else was there, that this strange fascination ran deeper than mere friendship.

Naturally Perce Laurier hated Abel Windsor. You wouldn't think it, given the civil way he treated the boy. The civil way however, was too civil for someone who was going to be brother in law with that boy. He always pulled Beatrice a little too close when Abel Windsor was around, the same way Qenan did to Abel, almost as the two knew something no one else did. Almost if they knew the rumors were true.

As for Abel Windsor himself, well, he wasn't very easy to get to know. He as often cut off, isolated, cold, and easy to anger, deeply sarcastic. While he could be pleasant, it was a pleasant with a thinly veiled rage beneath, angry about someone or something. He was the hardest type of child to get to agree, because he was stubborn.

Only two people could get him to agree, Beatrice Burr and Qenan Laurier.

Qenan Laurier was beloved by the community, the golden child. So naturally, it was horrifying to everyone when he betrayed them all in an attempted coup. The coup should have ended in his death, but it instead left him scars around his mouth, marring his face, and reminding everyone of his lying silver tongue.

Beatrice Burr was an abomination, and she should not exist. The entire community knew it, that's why the stirrings of the coup were so strong. However, when she saved Seron Windsor, formerly known as Abel Windsor (Although Seron would argue he wasn't ever Abel), resurrecting him from the dead, the community saw her for what she was. One of God's chosen, who were blessed with not only the powers of a prophet, but to raise the dead and make them living.

But even so, the Community still knew. Qenan Laurier and Seron Windsor were not to be trusted.