One Shot

After eight hours of walking, they finally decided to rest. Night was approaching, so there was no point in walking in the dark. Besides, they were already exhausted. Jaskier completed the final route by clinging to Geralt's arm. The Witcher didn't mind, because he knew very well how hard the boy's nights had been lately. The constant nightmares did not let him rest enough.

Their makeshift encampment was in a small clearing. Behind them was the high stone wall of the mountain, which protected them from the wind. In front of them was a forest. The surroundings seemed to be safe. Both Milva and Angouleme slept up to their ears wrapped in warm sleeping bags. Both lay close to each other spread out under a huge oak tree. The archer was snoring quietly. The vampire had disappeared. However, he promised to appear before sunrise.

The only ones not sleeping turned out to be Geralt and Cahir. They both sat on their beds, propped against the stone wall. They were silent. They were staring at the dying campfire and the person sleeping there. Jaskier was visibly shaking despite his coverings. Geralt commented on this with a quiet murmur and then got up. He approached Roach, who, seeing him, snorted cheerfully and tossed her mane. The man rummaged an extra coat from his pack. He remained
a moment by the mare's side stroking her tenderly. He patted her back one last time and together with the coat went to the sleeping player.

Before he put the cloak over the boy, he making sure he was thoroughly covered with the blanket. He smoothed the material here and there. The night could be chilly despite the summer weather. Before he left he heard Jaskier mutter and something that might have sounded like "Geralt". The Witcher immediately sensed the change in the musician's heart rate. He tenderly placed his hand on the boy's head. Jasker's face instantly relaxed.

Geralt being back in his initial seat sighed deeply.

 -You may ask.- the witcher murmured. Not for a moment did he take his golden eyes off Jaskier.

-What?

-You can ask. -he repeated.- All this time I felt you burning a hole in my back.-they remained in silence for some time. Apparently the young knight was thinking of an answer.

-Won't you blow my nose later for being too curious? -Geralt only smiled mockingly.-How did you meet Jaskier? Of course, you don't have to answer.-Cahir immediately pointed out, seeing the strange expression on his companion's face. As if he didn't really feel like going back to that.

-It was a day like any other. After the order for the vywern I went to the inn to collect my payment. Unluckily, one of the monster's claws scratched my leg badly. My body started to get poison, and I didn't have any potions with me. The last one was destroyed by the vywern. To top it off, the innkeeper didn't want to fulfill his agreement. I was about to put the vywera's head in his ass, but I heard something. Singing. There was no shortage of bards in taverns. I never paid them much attention. As you might expect, this time was different.

-Jaskier...- interjected Cahir smiling slightly.

-Hmm. About a very young boy. He was wearing a red doublet... playing the lute. Nothing special, but something about it captivated me. The way he moved around the room and how lightly he entertained the crowd...he seemed so innocent and carefree. Looking at him made me feel...peaceful. The feeling was so new and...pleasant that I panicked. Which is absurd. Paying no attention to the innkeeper and the lack of payment, I simply left.

My leg hurt like hell. The wound began to swell and change color. I knew that without the antidote I might not make it. I would have died...if it wasn't for Jaskier. He had been sneaking up behind me all this time. The venom had damaged my senses so I didn't even hear him. I wanted to say something, but I fell off the Roach. It was really bad. "I think you need to be taken care of" he said as if, it was the most ordinary thing in the world. He wasn't afraid of me. He was crouching beside me. He said something to me, but the poison made me stop communicating. I lost consciousness. I woke up two days later in someone's room. The bard was sitting on the floor and sleeping with his head on the bed. I could see that he must have been crying earlier. I just didn't understand why. As it turned out later, Jaskier had taken me to a sorceress. To Yennefer of Vengerberg. I don't know how he managed it, but I was truly grateful to him then. "Such friends are rare. The bard would give anything to help you." Her words will stay with me to the end. Jaskier didn't know me. He could have left me there to die...instead he gave me a chance.