Night lotus

N/A: The Departure. Max Richter

— Xichen-ge, please.

— Just this once, Wangji.

— Fine.

My brother wanted me to go with him to this family breakfast at his girlfriend's place. I didn't want to, but he insisted, and I couldn't deny him anything.

It was not that I didn't like her, honestly. Yanli was fantastic, a female version of my older brother, always gentle and kind, knowing how to behave and what to say.

Both of them were like the warm summer breeze at my uncle's cottage in the mountains, like a beautiful Sunday morning, finding you at ease.

It was just that I didn't want to meet her family. I knew that one of her siblings was talkative and even brighter than her. Thankfully, the other one was discrete and easy-going. My brother also mentioned that her parents had issues, and I didn't want to be part of the family's show, whatever that was.

Yet, I walked side by side to my brother, holding a red tulip bouquet since those were my brother's mother-in-law's favorite flowers.

The house was outside of town, a bit away, for it felt almost like the countryside. The cottage, or something like it, was a two-story house with a dark roof and white walls. There was a garden in front, and it felt like a big yard behind.

My brother rang the doorbell, and we waited. Yanli's voice was approaching as she opened the door with that big smile of hers. The impossible happened when she saw my brother; her smile went broader and her eyes brighter.

— You are here! Please, come, come, and welcome. I'm in the kitchen with my didi, but let me walk you through the terrace. We are having breakfast there.

— Hello, A-Li. Sure.

— Thanks for having me, Yanli.

— Call me jié, Wangji, please. I would love to call you di.

— Yanli-jie. — I shyly replied.

— Thank you, Wangji-di. — She gave me one of her dazzling smiles.

She walked us through an impressive home, country-side style with light-color walls and dark wood furniture. It was bright and smelled like a lotus lake somehow. I felt overwhelmed and ridiculous holding the tulips. Did I get the right flowers?

I couldn't check with my brother because we were suddenly on the terrace staring at some people I didn't know, or so I thought.

— Everyone, Xichen and his brother Wagji. Please, be kind while I'm back with A-Cheng and the breakfast we prepared.

— Of course, jie. Hello, I'm Wuxian, the middle child. These are my friend Huaisang and his older brother Mingjue, and our parents are not here yet.

— Yes, we are. Hello, I'm Jiang Fengmian.

— And I'm Yu Ziyuan.

Thankfully, my older brother took the lead.

— Hello, I'm Lan Xichen and my Didi, Lan Wagji.

— Thank you for having us. These are for you, Madame.

I did my best to face my brother's mother-in-law, but she had fierce dark purple eyes that made it impossible to stare at her gaze. I knew I had seen that kind of energy before but in a grey tone. She was breathtaking, and something in her air compelled me to almost vow in her presence.

I did my best to keep my dignity and handed her the bouquet. She seemed pleased, and I sighed in relief.

— Thank you, Er-Lan. They are beautiful.