I. The Freak

"In 1467 CR, the Hexamogue Council convened for the third time, ratifying the treaty that united the Six Houses. Can anyone tell me who presided over that council?"

My dark bronze hand shot up before Professor Laochlar's mouth finished moving. Scattered snickers and huffs emanated from the students around me, but it was the way Laochlar ignored my hand that hurt.

"No one? That might be a problem once your exam comes around. The answer-"

"It's actually a trick question. There were two heads over the Hexamogue council, Sir Wylan Dahr and the Prime Sorceress, the heroes of the Battle of Chalyst."

Had these words come from anyone else, Laochlar's frizzy beard would've broken into a smile as he gave a rare compliment. But the answer had come from me, so instead the old man glared at my hand until I pulled it back down.

"Ms. Emberwylde, I don't believe I called on you just now. Your other teachers may excuse your outbursts, but in my classroom, students respect etiquette, not status."

A wave of chuckles washed over me as I stared down at the scratches in the desk, trying to stay calm. He was right to say that. I shouldn't have talked out of turn. Just because I know the answer doesn't mean I have to give into the urge to say it.

"Sir, I have a question about the Battle of Chalyst."

"Yes, Ms. Tannar?"

My eyes flicked back up to find Merylda twirling a lock of her platinum-blonde hair between her fingers. She shot me a smirk before continuing.

"How exactly did it lead to the council in the first place?" she asked.

She was baiting me, Merylda always was. It was such an obvious question, and she knew I'd be straining not to blurt out the answer. I squeezed my hands into fists, reciting the calming mantra Johan had given me as magick buzzed in my fingertips.

"An astute question." Laochlar lied as Merlyda's sycophants tittered, "The Battle of Chalyst was the climactic event of the Four Month's War, between what we now know as the Six Houses of Magic and the armies of the Nemesis. It was fought on the slopes of Mt. Chalyst, hence the name, with tactics derived from..."

And Laochlar was off in his own little world, leaving his bored students to lean back and watch the clock slowly tick down to their freedom. I used to be fascinated by the great battles and treaties of history until Laochlar ruined them. It was amazing how he could turn the most gripping duel into a dry lecture that went on for hours on end.

A wad of paper ricocheted off my red hair, sliding down its wavy contours as I fought down another pulse of magick. Just ignore them. You have ten minutes left.

A muted giggle broke my mantra, and I couldn't stop my powers from strengthening my ears. I would've hummed to myself to block out Merylda's words as she sneered to her trio of followers, but Laochlar had gotten on to me about humming already.

"I know, she's such a freak. The only reason they haven't kicked her out is because her mother protects her. Can't let mommy's little princess be anything less than special!"

I squeezed my eyes shut to block out the flash of my mother's face, but her disapproving eyes still seared like winter. Try as I did, her icy words bubbled to the surface as well, cloaked in her haughty tone.

"Remember, Raven, you're not just representing the family, you're representing me. So be good... okay, sweetie?"

My nails scraped into the desk, leaving scorch marks as I banished my mother's perfect face. I looked down, wishing I could undo the damage as Laochlar rambled on. But for all my monumental power, I was helpless to undo my own flames.