Part 15: Meetings

Sitting in the back corner of the coffee shop by the window, Ari scanned the space. They should've been watching for Willow, but they weren't. They hadn't been back to the coffee shop since the smirking, faceless figure had appeared months ago. The figure hadn't appeared again, not directly, but Ari knew they saw him. Or, they thought they did. Ari had been going out less and less, but men in black suits seemed to follow them everywhere.

"Hello."

Ari jumped. Looking up, they saw a tall, familiar, dark-skinned woman with ancient beauty and knowledge glowing in her eyes. Immediately, Ari's nerves eased. Smiling, they stood up and embraced her, pulling her close and exhaling.

"Hey, jumpy," Willow squeezed them gently.

"I missed you." Ari kissed her cheek and held her a moment longer than usual. It took them a while to recognize the warm, relaxed feeling in their chest they felt around her. It was feeling safe. And it was love. It had been a hundred years since they felt both. Not since before Mahla died.

Sitting down across from Ari, Willow studied them. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, yes. Although..." reaching across the table, Ari searched for her hands. Willow laid her fingertips in theirs, her long fingernails glittering with red and gold. "I must apologize. I don't know where my mind had been lately. I'm terribly sorry."

Willow raised her sculpted brow. "Sorry for what?" It was clear in her voice she knew well what Ari was sorry for, but wanted to hear them say it. Ari knew it wasn't vindictive; she asked for accountability. They'd learned from her the importance of accountability—among numerous other things—and they squandered none of her lessons.

She'd spent her hundreds of years of life learning and growing and thriving so beautifully, while Ari had shrank in the dark. They weren't sure how she managed it, but they tried to learn.

"I'm sorry I... ignored your calls." It was hard to say. That was probably why she wanted them to say it. "And I haven't seen you lately. I've just been..." A dark suit in the corner of their eye made them glance. An large, older man with a white beard glanced back, then returned to the tablet in his hands. Ari exhaled.

"Been...?" Willow watched them. "Tell the truth. What's been going on with you?"

Ari looked back. Tell her. She knows about others like us. Tell her. "I, um..." But what if that thing comes after her? The thought was paralyzing. Ari just looked into her eyes, the warm, safe feeling replaced with icy dread.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I've just been feeling nervous, I suppose. About the house." That wasn't a lie, but it wasn't even half of the reason that they'd been distant from her. "I know you've worked really hard to make it possible and I..." they gave a small shrug "I felt a bit guilty."

Willow's gaze lingered on them. Ari couldn't tell what she was thinking. They still didn't know how far her powers really extended. Enough to heal a bullet wound. The thought made their stomach knot with guilt. She saved my life. Lying to her is no way to repay her.

"Is that really what's bothering you?"

Ari nodded.

"I understand you being nervous, Ari. It is a lot of responsibility. But this is something you want, it's a good thing. And I'll be there to help you." She entwined her fingers with theirs.

"There is one problem." Ari raised their eyebrows tacitly. I have the money. But no one can know where I got it.

"The fundraiser will work. We'll do a party at the house, a fundraiser online, through all our platforms—anonymous donations." She smiled, a knowing look. "We've done it for the Axis Center dozens of times. It's easy. And it's totally legit. No one ever bats an eye. And why would they?"

She was so certain. Ari couldn't help but believe her. And, besides, what were they really afraid of? What was she afraid of? Money laundering, theft, police, prison—none of it governed either of them. Though neither of them wanted to, they could disappear with ease if they had to, and still remain close with their new family.

But it wasn't the legal repercussions Ari feared.

"You don't have to be perfect. And it won't always be good," Willow continued, as if she sensed their apprehension—or, part of it. "But you can provide a safe and loving home for kids who need it. You already do. And they can be a part of the family that you want." She offered a small, comforting smile, and lowered her voice. "It's a pretty good gig for a cryptid and a haunted house."

They smiled back. She was right. They did want to open their home to kids who needed them, just like Chris, Heather, Lee and Storm. They wanted to be a part of that family. They didn't need, nor expect, any of to be perfect, or even anything other than chaotic. And, they knew they had the power to provide for the kids.

But do I have the power to protect them? From myself? From the people who want to hurt them? From—

Behind Willow, over her shoulder, a dark-suited figure sat, its body facing forward. It's neck twisted slowly, the head turning, twisting around. The skin wrinkled like pale putty and the head turned backwards, facing Ari with an eyeless visage and a wide, rot-mottled, maniacal grin.

"Opening your home, Skurdulka?" the creature hissed. The twisted neck cracked and the head snapped down, laying on the shoulder. "Am I invited?"

Ari bolted up and stepped back, their chair tumbling back behind them. Their coffee cup and Willow's jumped, splashing coffee over the table. Nearby patrons turned, a light gasp sifting through the room. Willow slid back, recognized the horror on Ari's face, and spun around.

But the chair was empty. A middle-aged woman, wide-eyed and bewildered, sat on the other side of the table, her phone in one hand and her coffee cup in the other.

Ari scanned the space. A dozen coffee shop patrons eyed them with concern and confusion. But there were no dark suits, no eyeless faces, no disgusting grins.

Willow stood up as well, laying a hand on Ari's arm. She glanced around once more, then turned back to them. "Let's clean this up and go. Okay?"

Ari gave a tight nod. They helped her mop up the coffee on the table, tossed the soaked napkins, and placed their ceramic cups on the counter. Willow laid a hand on Ari's back as she ushered them gently out the door.

The cool breeze outside made Ari shiver. The back of their t-shirt was damp with sweat. They glanced around the sidewalk; a young couple walked a small dog and two young men waited for a bus across the street. Cars rumbled past slowly on the city street and most of the parking spaces were filled with neatly angled vehicles. It was like every other afternoon in town. It was as if nothing happened.

"Ari, what just happened?" Willow took their hands. "What was that? What did you see?"

Pulling in a breath, Ari started to speak. The words died on their lips when a dark shape leaned a bit, hiding two steps behind Willow. The faceless monster no longer grinned; it scowled, a menacing rictus worse than an animal's. It slowly shook its head—a silent warning.

Ari pulled Willow into a hug, away from the creature. But when they embraced her, the sidewalk was empty and the monster was gone.

"I don't know. I think I'm losing it. I'm sorry," Ari lied.

Willow hugged them tightly. "It's gonna be okay. I promise." 

...