Chapter 3

Eva speeds through the traffic, overtaking another driver who screams at her and gives her the finger. She turns onto the west side highway. Total gridlock. She honks the horn furiously, it merges with the cacophony of other horns on the static freeway. Her fingers frantically fiddle with the digital radio as it scrambles wildly in and out of frequency.

Eva tries to focus on the news as it switches between what's happening and pop music. 'Fatalities at Gladstone High' A pop song plays 'Police are trying to gain access' It fuzzes back to the song again and Eva thumps the radio angrily with her fist. 

The badly tuned radio merges with Eva's panicky voice as she tried to call Kevin, seeing as her younger twin isn't answering his phone. "Kevin...pick up...Kevin please?" She hung up and dialed the number to her husband, "Franklin...where the hell are you?...Pick up the goddamned phone..." but he never answered either. 

Eva rounds the corner and slams the breaks. An elderly couple crossing the road in front of her gawk at her before continuing on at a snails pace. Eva drums her hands impatiently on the wheel "C'mon, c'mon..." she mutters to herself.

Eva speeds past a row of white picket fenced houses as she pulls into the street leading to Gladstone high school. A helicopter chops noisily in the air just above her, the sirens ringing in her ears as they get louder. The fuzzy car radio suddenly starts blazing "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil. She flinched and paused for a moment before turning off the music and turning into the driveway of the school.

As she pulled up, she saw a group of teenage girls huddled together with their arms around one another. It was getting dark as Eva jumped out of her car, leaving her door open. The sound of sirens getting closer as red and blue lights pulse eerily from the emergency vehicles as Eva stumbles through the lot towards the school. Everything seems to go in slow motion to Eva, as if she's underwater. All she sees is total chaos, teachers, students, and frantic parents in tears or in a profound state of shock. Seconds feel like forever as Eva moves towards the crowd surrounding the gym.

Her eyes catch the sight of a hysterical woman with mascara running down her face, and for a split second, their eyes meet. Cops are gathered around the one of the gym entrances as a fireman works at the door with a cutter; an arc of blue sparks fly into the night. A yellow kryptonite bike lock clunks to the floor with a sickening thud. Eva loses focus, the red and blue lights scatter into meaningless splotches.

As it feels like everything goes dark, all she can hear are the screams echoing through the night and through her soul.

Word count: 472

I know that this one is pretty short, but since this one was already half finished, I added more details before ending it the way I did. I'm trying to get into the habit of writing more and I'm taking the steps to do so. Some chapters will be shorter than others but I'm trying. I hope you guys at least like this one. I'll try to post the next time I can. Have a lovely rest of your day ❤

~Panic