Aziraphale Makes Headway With Both School and Crowley, and is Hit With a Shock

It’s with a gentle knock that Aziraphale enters Kaufmann’s office, who is currently just sipping his tea.

The man looks up, acknowledging, “Mr. Fell. Please, come in.”

Aziraphale complies slowly, apologizing, “Oh I do hope I’m not interrupting.”

“Only a little, Mr. Fell, but it’s nothing of immediate importance. To what do I owe you visiting me at this hour?”

The butterflies in the angel’s stomach go berserk as he says shakily, “I-I was hoping to ask you what more I could be doing to convince you that I—”

Kaufmann sets his tea down, and looks directly at Aziraphale, gently ordering, “Why don’t you just say it, Mr. Fell?”

“What more do I need to do to convince you I deserve a letter of recommendation?” Aziraphale says in a rush, almost shaky in his feet from the exertion.

Kaufmann leans back, clearly not expecting that, but Aziraphale just reminds him, “You did mention a position for the Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, and I believe it’s exactly the job I hoped to acquire from my time here.”

Kaufmann notes, “A very highly esteemed position, no doubt.”

Aziraphale nods, “I have no doubt.”

Kaufmann offers, “Well, as you currently stand, I can’t in good conscience write that letter.”

Aziraphale’s face falls in disappointment as Kaufmann adds,

“But, if you keep working on applying yourself and pass your final exam with flying colors, there’s always room for reconsideration.”

Aziraphale sighs in relief, almost gushing, “Oh, thank you. You don’t know how much this means to me.”

Kaufmann has to tell him, “If I may say so, Mr. Fell, I think your new partnership with Mr. Crowley plays a huge part in your improvement.”

Aziraphale’s all too quick to nod, “I know it is. His dedication to the plants and the gardens is truly something that should be marveled at.”

Kaufmann agrees, “I agree.”, but then, thinking on something, he leans forward, and tells the angel, “You know, back when I was still an underbutler, showmanship was always a big thing I struggled with. I believe you could equate it to, as one might say, the actor’s nightmare.”

This surprises Aziraphale, to where he has to ask, “How did you find a way past it?”

“Oh that was the maddening thing. It was so simple.” Kaufmann replies. “I realized I’d forgotten that my job was so much bigger than me or what I was struggling with. I wasn’t there to put on a show for the guests, though it doesn’t hurt. I was there to be a valuable service member.”

Aziraphale can’t disagree with that, as he nods thoughtfully for a moment, then says with as much sincerity as he can, “Mr. Kaufmann, I assure you, from the bottom of my heart, I will not let you down. I will prove I deserve your letter of recommendation.”

Kaufmann nods, “Good. Make it so.”

With a final bow and a, “Thank you.”, Aziraphale exits the office, his commitment fully renewed and ready for anything.

In hindsight, Aziraphale supposes he shouldn’t have been so quick to say anything when that turned out to be an exam in complete silence, Anathema taking hers next to him, along with Kaufmann constantly checking his pocketwatch.

But even so, Aziraphale can’t stop himself from turning to look behind him at Crowley, who looks like he might be struggling (or pretending to be struggling) as much as he is.