Marc

7th grade

"Weirdo."

"Nerd."

"He looks like a girl."

"Are you writing a story about superheroes named Ladybug and Chat Noir? Weirdo! What are these characters? No one will ever read it."

"Don't hang out with him. All he does is sit underneath the stairs and write in that notebook of his."

Françoise Dupont was supposed to be his getaway.

A way to escape from his father.

But it was just as bad.

Rumors

Bullying

Abuse

Welcome to private school.

The smaller the school the more people are in your business.

Yay.

He remembers the day it all changed.

One day a boy named Nathaniel Kurtzberg walked up to him and helped him stand up after a mean group of bullies had beaten him.

Nathaniel gave him a genuine smile, picked up the pieces of shredded notebook, and helped Marc clean himself up.

He remembers the words he had told Marc.

"I've heard about the rumors but I don't care. They don't understand and one day they'll work for you."

"What about you. Aren't you popular? You're so talented. A great artist."

"I'm afraid it's too late for me Marc. It won't matter tomorrow. Marc...screw 'popularity.' I wish nobody paid attention to me."

He handed Marc a piece of paper and walked off.

Marc examined the slip which said in cursive:

𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝓸𝓹𝓮𝓷 𝓾𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓵 𝓽𝓸𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓻𝓸𝔀

Marc will never forget the next day.

He had bought some croissants as a thank you to Nathaniel the next morning.

He wasn't at school.

The next day

He still wasn't there.

And then there was an assembly at school stating that 13-year-old Nathaniel Kurtzburg had killed himself.

When Marc opened the paper it was an attempt at fan art for his book.

He must have read a piece of the ripped notebook.

And that was when it hit Marc like a freight train that

Popular

He had always wanted to be popular.

But even the popular kids had weaknesses.

You were unhappy either way.

So that was when he decided.

If the school didn't like bullies but teased the popular and unpopular students...

Then he would be the one to help those who needed it.

Just like Nathaniel did.

Just because.

He wasn't looking for a prize for his good deeds either.

Especially since they weren't that good.

Why stop bullying peacefully when it's so much more fun to stop it by force.

Not in an evil way but not in a good way.

Like an anti-hero.

And that was when he decided he'd had enough.

After managing to escape his father and helping his mother Marc ran up to his room and hung the picture on the door.

The costumes were beautiful.

Not very Ladybuggy or Chat Noiry but that was good he could work with this.

Also, he'd need a name.

Or...

A group...